Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: Kevin GTV's and other Alfa's

Post by kevin »

This pic was taken at one of our concours . White Alfas are different but the traditional red stripe on the GTV 6 3.0l livens it up.
Attachments
Alfa GTV 6 3.0l S.A. wheels.jpg
Alfa GTV 6 3.0l S.A. wheels.jpg (101.53 KiB) Viewed 6937 times
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin is an arsehole.

He has more GTV's than anyone I know
He is surrounded by GTVs
He races a GTV

What other reasons do I need ??

I hate you Kevin :mrgreen:
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mike,

Consider this a warning. No strong words on this forum. Please refrain from using the word "hate" here ok, mate?

:mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, every time I see these cars I just cant help my self but to torture you guys with pics. Personally I think this GTV, owned by a friend of mine is one of the best looking here. For some strange reason I was looking at who owned these cars and alot of them are doctors. Either radiologists or surgeons. Put it that way I know eight 3.0l owners who are doctors. That Ultima with the TT alfa motor is also a doc.
What I try do is keep the balance of not been one (a doc) and buy more GTV's. :D
My theory is these cars were so damm expensive in there day in 1984 and generally you had to have an income of a doc to afford them. Even ten years later in order to buy them you had to come with cash as no one would finance sport cars.
The age group here who owns these cars are typically between 40yrs and 60yrs old.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Zamani, you me and Kevin understand the context but perhaps others will not so I am going to change my joke for something less contentious.

Kevin, you're dispicable. I was going to say I love you Kevin but I couldn't stand the gay mail.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

Hi Kevin, and the other enthusiasts on here.
No way can I compete withn your knowledge or wonderful collection of Alfas, but I'm doing my bit here in the UK to educate Alfa Club members in England.
My SA GTV6 3.0 is really great and makes the perfect foil to my 3.2 Brera. I must argue with your opinion of the Brera, although I note you are changing your mind after putting a few kms on it. This is my second Brera and is the 3.2 'S' version - Meaning it has the Prodrive-developed suspension mods and considerably lightened. Add to this the stage 4 engine mods (induction mainly) by Mangoletsi (our best Alfa dealer in the UK), and it's a revelation. The slight increase in power, together with more sure-footed handling have transformed it. Pity there were only 200 3.2 'S' versions, and 300 2.2 'S' versions made, and only for the UK. Such a smooth and impressive performer now.
Then my GTV6 - Hard as rocks, b*gger to start on carbs, lumpy as hell below 3000rpm, frightened to take it out in the rain........................... in other words, totally awesome. I've never had anything that sounds or goes as well above 3000rpm.
I haven't forgotten about the number on it's flywheel - it's going in for the synchros to be done soon, so I'll check what it is then, and let you know. I also hear you have the moulds for the 3.0 GRP bonnet? Please hang on to them!
Best wishes from England
Rich
Attachments
09260001B.JPG
09260001B.JPG (218.62 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
09260003B.JPG
09260003B.JPG (251.09 KiB) Viewed 6753 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Rich, just some reminders on the car . Never leave ignition on when motor is not running as the pump continues and in some cases it can fill up a carb if there is a sticky needle/seat. This results in instant bent conrod. Touch wood never happened in 18yrs on any of my 3.0 's but have seen it a few times. Just close your windows when car is still running when you arrive home etc. Car would probably have origional clutch so be aware of plates sticking after driving in rain. Always start in neutral. If you cant get and airfilter just put a K/N on each airbox outlet. I had some origionals made here but none left.
Car should only be lumpy around 900rpm to 1200rpm on idle with group one cams then smooth out. If the car has not been driven for a long time its rough up to 3000rpm and then will clear .
I just changed all the paper o rings on the side of carbs. Finally found a stock it from WURTH.
Some people get scared of carbs but if set properly or never ''fidled'' with will stay in tune . Mine is going on for 10 years since i had heads off and still perfectly smooth. Any info you need just set up thread under race and track as these cars were made specifically to race as they came off the show room floor and I can try and help you or ask the guys who made and raced these cars.
PS Would kill for a brera 3.2 prodrive. :twisted:
drivers71
Silver
Silver

Post by drivers71 »

One more thing Kevin - What spark plugs do you use in your 3 litre GTV6 cars?
Previously I always used Golden Lodge 2HL plugs in my 2.5 cars, but this 3 litre arrived with NKG R BPR6EY plugs. I don't have any Lodge plugs on hand, and they seem difficult to get hold of now - I think they are now part of Magneti Marelli, but they don't list any. Do you know of any suitable alternatives please?
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

What works best for me at our altitude(6000ft) is a NGK B7ES. I heard they are making carb kits again for these again.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

One of my alfa dreams came true today. I'm gonna help out with pitting with IMSA 75 touring car that arrived for an international event at zwartkops.
I was like a kid in a candy shop taking pics of every suspension detail, gear lever, roll cage etc. Got to sit in it and rev up the motor. Awesome. Any special request of pics ,I will take but think I covered most things.
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

kevin wrote:One of my alfa dreams came true today. I'm gonna help out with pitting with IMSA 75 touring car that arrived for an international event at zwartkops.
I was like a kid in a candy shop taking pics of every suspension detail, gear lever, roll cage etc. Got to sit in it and rev up the motor. Awesome. Any special request of pics ,I will take but think I covered most things.

Niceeeeeeee, take some measures if you can out of the front suspension, as well as wheel alignment data if you can!!

I suppose you are shooting some vids too! :D :D :D
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Arrived in sunny UK yesterday :P Will post all pics from the 75 when back in SA (2 March). Took it for a brief drive in the pits. It has a 1piece carbon fibre prop. CV one side and rubber coupling with cage on the other.

Back in London on 12 Feb until 18 Feb so if anyone is in the area and would like to catch up over coffee mail me on dextro_projects@hotmail.com or call me on my temp UK mobile number 07415081345.
JohnGTA
Silver
Silver

Post by JohnGTA »

Kevin,
Have a good time over there. Any plans to visit Jano at Autodelta? Towards the end of Feb I'll be flying up to JNB & off to Dawies place for a few days. I will also be collecting my 156GTA which I am sure you have seen the old man running around with & doing final testing & mapping? 3.7L (Ross Pistons/Pauter Rods) in low CR format & running a huge GT42 ball bearing turbo.
Using it in low boost format as a road car & 340wkW@0.55bar is more than enough, with 600wNm torque.
Lets go for a little spin then. Using Quaife diff & XYZ Racing Coil Overs with XYZ Racing 6-Piston 355mm brakes combined with 8.5X19" BBS CH rims & 235/35ZRX19" Goodyear Assymetricos so the road holding is pretty descent. I'm not such a great fan of turbo cars even though I've had a few monsters in the past, including an E36M3 Turbo & E46 M3 Supercharged but I can't wait to do a comparisson.
I'm about 10 days away from completing work on my 3L GTV6 which I have brought up to concors standard, I'll post a few pics towards the end of the week. Still 6XCarb 12V but running Dawies Group 1 cams, big valve heads & a big bore bottom end(3.5L) with 11.4:1 CRIt's making 295bhp@7300rpm at the flywheel when we dynoed the car, mods are suttle though with the car looking stock bar a 40mm drop using springs from Performatek, Koni Sport Shocks & Polyflex bushes throughout, Powerbrake(Pretiria) supplied upgraded discs/pads & braided lines. I hope to show the car at a show in PE on the 27th Feb(Sports Car Club-EC).

The little blue 147GTA is going well, we have now cracked the 300wkW at the coast with an N/A V6. Running an extra 6XInjectors into the top of the Jenvey trumpets & injecting methanol from 5000rpm, also have designed & made an airbox for the ITB's, we only lost 4wkW which I can live with in order to save the engine from a premature death from all the dust.
Anyway, that I will run at Suldanha Bay 800m sprints, have a serious oponent in an M3 CSL running a 3.4L stroker kit, big cams,modded ECU & shorter 4:1 final drive. He has done a 12.6sec 1/4mile but on racing slicks & the 147GTA has done a 12.4secs on street tyres(Pirelli P-Zero Rosso's) so with the meth & running Toyo R888 semis the Alfa should manage a win :D
It's done 223km/h in the 800m's before the latest mods & I am more than 100% sure that it will beat the CSL.
On the same dyno up in Gauteng I know that the CSL is 10wkW short of what my GTA made when you guys ran it with a self imposed 7K rev limit & with all the carbon fiber replacement bits now on my GTA as well as a gutted interior fitted with Recaro race seats etc... it's lighter than the CSL.
So, it's an R5K bet at the sprints & another R5K bet at the BMW Club track day at Kyalami later on in the year, bring your camera along :lol:

Enjoy your break in the UK.
Ciao
85' 3L GTV6(White) number 197off 212, 3.5L
83' 3L GTV6 (Red) number 46 off 212
03' 156GTA(Red)3.7L Turbo
06' 147GTA(Blue)3.8L+6XITB's
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

John, some really good projects on the go. I was looking at your gta and it's gonna be wild. I saw Emile gta turbo go and that's in drag car league. Not much left standard in that front suspension to keep it all position under those 400 plus kw. But then with enough money you can create any monster. Looking forward to see your gtv 3.0l big bore . There is another gtv carbi model been restored down your end . Just supplied lynton with original caps for his compomotives on that car.
Keep in touch.
Cheers
JohnGTA
Silver
Silver

Post by JohnGTA »

Kevin,
Great to hear from you. Lyntton's GTV & mine are parked next to eachother in AJ's workshop.
His car is now complete but I've taken mine to further extremes as I want the car in Concourse d'etat spec but it's not entirely original, well externally yes as you cannot tell by looking that it's a 3.5L. I've done suttle changes like Koni Sport shocks, changed the rear springs to -40mm, uprated bushes, watts linkage etc. Sourced a set of BBS RS 3-Piece splits in 8.5X17" & staggered fit running 215/40ZRX17" Michelins PS3's.
Had Mario Levi (original supplier of leather interiors for Alfa-Italy) here in PE retrim the interior in black Momo leather with AR badges embossed in the front Recaro's.
I have your 76mm exhaust that Dawie supplied.
Clive(Powerbrake) front & rear brake upgrade is very effective along with braided lines.
Minor changes but a descent improvement.

My little 147GTA 3.8L with the ITB's is running exceptionally well & I'm looking forward to driving the 156GTA.
I know Emilles car but keeping it 3.2L means that he needs very high boost pressure to equal my 3.7L. I wanted reliability so big capacity, big turbo & low boost.
At 1bar it makes over 400wkW on Dastek's dyno, Emilles ran 372wkW at 1.5bar boost.
I'm keeping it at around 0.6bar for the road, good for 340-350wkW which in a 1400kg car makes for a serious animal.
V10M5's make around 270wkW as you know & they are monsters.

I will be moving back up your way later on in the year so I will show the cars at every oppurtunity such as dyno days & track days to prove the doubters wrong. That will make Dawie happy :lol:
Keep well & enjoy yourself in the UK. We are having a serious heat wave in SA & in PE it's even worse due to the drout. It's like 35-40 deg C with 80% hummidity, can't even take 30minutes in AJ's workshop, we are working on our cars with swimming trunks :shock:
On Friday last we started potting beers from 9am at the workshop, not much happened work wise after 11am :P
good fun though.
Cheers,
John
85' 3L GTV6(White) number 197off 212, 3.5L
83' 3L GTV6 (Red) number 46 off 212
03' 156GTA(Red)3.7L Turbo
06' 147GTA(Blue)3.8L+6XITB's