Please post a pic of yourself or your car tell us about yourself and let us know where you are from.
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Hi Mats,

They don't keep the headliner in place. The reason why we would have to replace the headliner is putting holes into the headliner while trying to install the handles. If we tried to install in the wrong place we would have torn the headliner and it would not look good. We forgot that they had these so we did not mark it on the reinstall.

Your correct x-rad, we did not have to put them back. I have a bin with alot of extra parts still. Most of them are their because we put alot of new parts. However, anything that should be put back we are doing just so that I can pretend that my Alfa is still pretty original.

Thank you very much for your picture. This is exactly were we thought they were to go since we felt that their were mounts there. It did not make sense though since you would think that they should go in the front to hold onto when you are going fast. Eventhough the GTV6 has rear seats. I really wondered if anyone really uses them.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

x-rad wrote:Seriously Mats...that's what the sunroof is for :D
lol, that is actually the only reason toget a sunroof ever. :roll:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Apparently Mats, you can fly through them too! :idea:

600 lb. woman survives getting thrown through sunroof

Town N Country, Florida – A woman is in stable condition after being ejected through the sunroof of her SUV during an accident.

Thirty-seven-year-old Ruth Matthews told paramedics that another vehicle cut her off in traffic, and she took evasive action to avoid a crash. Her Isuzu Amigo rolled over and she was thrown through the sunroof and onto the roadway. Investigators say she was not wearing her seatbelt.

Paramedics initially tried to fly Matthews to Tampa General Hospital, but her weight, estimated at 600 pounds, made it impossible. Emergency crews were able to transport her to St. Joseph’s Hospital, where she is listed in stable condition.

Authorities are continuing their investigation.
Attachments
19162255.jpg
19162255.jpg (45.6 KiB) Viewed 6803 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Wow, I was actually wishing that my Alfa had a sun roof. Guess there are pros and cons to everything.

The handgrips are being installed now. I spent this am getting the spare tire for the Alfa at the warehouse so that Joe could make the custom cover to complete the trunk area. I will post a picture of the completed trunk area soon.

I ran into my old friend and client the other day and shared with him my project. I knew him for over 18 year on and off but I did not realize that he also collected Alfa's. I could not believe his storage area. He has over 15 Alfa's that are actually all in good running order. Mostly GTV's along with a GTV6, Alfetta, and 164 Quad. We have been tring to decide who will assist us with the final mechanical issues and we have decided to use his consultant to help us complete the job. Here is a picture of his Alfa's.
Attachments
Howard's Alfa's.JPG
Howard's Alfa's.JPG (17.18 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

We were also able to get the lifts installed. We installed 1 lift outside and two inside since this is how my associate wanted to have his set up. I wish we had this installed earlier to help JJ but at least we have them now. Here is the shop now. It is going to be alot easier to complete this project now. Here is our new lifts.
Attachments
New Inside Lifts.JPG
New Inside Lifts.JPG (19.59 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Finally, we were going to install the new steering wheel to complete this part. JJ sold me this steering wheel along with an extention. I forgot the extention part at the warehouse so we could not do this today. The bay bridge is closed so needless to say traffic is not at its best so I did not want to go back and get it.

We were wondering if the extension is worth it to correct the steering wheel set up. I was wondering what others have done in terms of this extention. Try to set the steering for a more American setup or stay with the original steering position. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here is a picture of the new steering wheel.
Attachments
New Steering Wheel.JPG
New Steering Wheel.JPG (18.02 KiB) Viewed 6790 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

I think that 'extension' replaces the unit already on the shaft...its more for mounting a different wheel...so it may not be that much longer after all
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I have a long extension and a deep dish wheel (90mm) to get it as far back as I want it, still need about an inch or so to get it perfect.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

I have an extension and still it needs to be farther back.

x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

OK ..that's a true extension..I was thinking 'adaptor' sold on many sites
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 Alfa GTV6 Restore

Post by cchan »

Thanks for the pictures of your extension Alfettish, mine is exactly the same. I like your right hand drive Alfa. Your interior is really clean as well. Really Cool.

We finally were able to move the Alfa from the Interior Shop to the Engine Tuning Shop. We went over the issues and we started moving forward. Lots of little details. We addressed the starting issue. We first welded the battery cable together to make sure we had a good connection. This really helped the voltage to the starter. We measured the electrical current and it was extremely high when we tried to start the Alfa. I was told that maybe we used the wrong screws (I guess the screws are two sizes) and the starter is installed incorrectly. Really doesn't matter to me though since we have to have the header removed and pull the starter again.

I was really hoping that welding the battery cable would solve this problem. Hopefully, we will get this done next week and address the idle issue.
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Change the solenoid - you still have your old one on the new rebuilt starter. Install the new rebuilt solenoid that I sent down!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restoration

Post by cchan »

Hello Forum,

We were able to get the old starter out after pulling the exhaust manifold again. The problem is that my brand new starter amature bushings were binding and therefore this was the problem. We put in another starter with solonid and the Alfa turns over no problem. We are doing this without the exhaust manifold attached and no spark to ignition so that the Alfa will not start up. Now we need to figure out why this is happening.

It was suggested that hopefully the starter was just bad and thats the way the ball bounces. However, it could be a more complicated situation and will know tomorrow if this is the case.

It maybe that the exhaust manifold is hitting the starter and causing it to bind. When we took off the old starter the heat shield that we put in was burnt like toast so we need to design another one. In the meantime, we will be putting the manifold back on and putting a paper around the starter. If the paper does not come out easily we will know that the exhaust manifold is hitting the starter and we will have to make adjustments to the exhaust manfold so that it does not contact the starter.

I pray that this is not the case since we would then have to bend my new header and maybe redo the flange to connect this to the exhaust system. Will know this in the next day or so since we are now working on the Alfa on the weekdays during normal business hours. :D
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

82 GTV6 Restoration

Post by cchan »

Well, we (Phil) were able to put back on the exhaust manifold and it hits the starter which causes the starter to bind. Problem located. I guess my custom headers were off.

We then had to modify my exhaust manifold (Hammer) to clear the starter. We also had a new heat shield made. We had to use 2 gaskets rather than one so that we could use the same flange to hook up to the rest of the exhaust system. Once this was done the Alfa cranks right over but did not start right away.

Once the Alfa started again we were able to get the Alfa to finally idle (don't really know how) but the Alfa runs poorly acording to Phil. He said that he is was not sure if it is the cams or the Gotech system. Since we have `147 GTA cams we need to get a cam timing set for this to be checked. I think this was set up already but Phil is going though the problem shooting in his systematic way. Therefore, does anyone know were I can get this tool? I was told that I will need it anyway to change the timing belt in the future.

Also, thinking this project though and speaking with my newest consultant I think I should have stayed with the Stock Bosch ECU, etc. The Go Tech system looks nice but hard to trouble shoot. I sent about 5 emails to Go Tech and I have no response back from their Service Department. Does anyone know if the red light on the Go Tech box should be on all the time? Phil thinks it should not be on. Anyone know about this?

Tomorrow we hope to tune the engine properly and get this all sorted. Then the brake system will be re bleed and checked again for safety. Figure out the clutch slipping, and get the speedo, tach, windows, etc to work and finally done. I am sorry that we do not have any pictures to post but I will have some shortly.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

cchan: I have similar problem....I don't know how easy or hard Gtech system is to use, but i am breaking in a ''new rebuilt'' engine and prefer to reinstall the Bosch electonics as I now know they work...once broken in, i will switch to Haltech which then needs tuning for the new engine

if you just installed cams only, stick w/G tech