Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
zambon
Verde
Verde

magnetic choke specs?

Post by zambon »

I have read that magnetic chokes are necessary for installing MS on milanos. What are the specifications of these chokes and where are they installed? On each side of the radiator fan motor, close to the motor?
Thanks
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

i have been running MS on my GTV6 for the whole summer without any chokes. I haven't experienced any problems without them. I built my box with the recommendations from Steve's guide regarding some changes of the resistors and capacitors values. Otherwise standard. So my advise is to try without the chokes first. Then put them on if you experience tach spikes.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Zambon,

The chokes I used were simply whatever the auto parts shop had in their "hi-fi" dept that fitted over the fan cables.

However, I'm sure Peab's now correct in saying they aren't really necessary. The later versions of MS code contain very effective anti false trigger improvements and it's likely the problem doesn't exist anymore. I experienced the problem initially with the base MS code installed and the chokes helped (but didn't fully solve the problem). Since using later versions of code tach spikes have not occoured - to the extent I'd forgotten they'd ever existed !

fyi My car still has the chokes on the fan wiring, but only because I've never been bothered to remove them

Note to Peab, if you ever add ignition control too, you must reverse the couple of ignition circuit changes in MS that I'd sugested in the install guide, and adding ignition control gives another big improvement to driveability. :D
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Peab
Silver
Silver

Post by Peab »

Thanks for the tip, Steve. I'm actually planning an EDIS conversion. Have purchased an EDIS toothed wheel that i'm planning to fit now, since i have my engine out of the car anyway. But i couldn't figure out which mod's you mean should be reversed. Do you mean the modifications in steps 48 and 51?
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

Hi Peab,

Yes, steps 48 & 51 are the ones.

I changed mine to run ignition control via a VR distributor sensor with a 270ohm in R10 (step 48 ) and retrofitted a 0.001uf cap into step 51.

For Edis, there's a lot of useful info that I guess you've already read, if not here's the most useful urls for reference, the 3rd url shows both V3 & v2.2 board mods required for Edis :
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra/setup-edis.html
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... uneed.html
http://megasquirt.sourceforge.net/extra ... dware.html

regards
Steve
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged