Related to the Bowling & Grippo Fuel Injection system.
zambon
Verde
Verde

injector fitment issues

Post by zambon »

Hi,
I have not yet completed my 3.0 board (backorders...) Still, I am looking to the future and anticipating a possible need for different injectors and a fuel rail. I have read that other forum members have done this.
I do not mean to ask about flow right now, just fitment. I am wondering if injectors from various different manufacturers can be installed on our engines. Are they generally a standard diameter? Are there other injectors the same physical size as our factory ones?
Any suggestions would be helpful.
Thanks
James
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So, which engine is that?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

That would be v6 12v. In my case 3 liter.
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

James,
There's 2 types of physical injector to fuel rail fittings: push on "barb" style and "o-ring" sealing.
The GTV6 and 75 fuel rail uses the barb style, most newer cars like 164's and most other manufacturers now use the o-ring version. You cannot interchange them without changing the fuel rail as well. The factory 187cc injectors are about at the limit of flow for a standard 3.0, if it's tuned in any way or revs higher than standard you'll needed bigger injectors.

Various older cars also use bigger barb style injectors and could fit a GTV6 or 75: Old 4.2 jaguars, early 80's BMW's, plus Saab's and Volvo's of the same vintage, although I'd question the reliability of using old second hand parts. (I thought about it and decided not to.)

Another thing to bear in mind is that injectors come in effectively two resitance ranges: "low" and "high". btw the low res ones are also often referred to as "peak & hold". Original GTV6 & 75 with l-jet use low resistance injectors and you can't interchange them and expect the factory ECU's to survive !

However using MS ECU allows the use of either low or high res types in any size without problem. fyi I'm running high capacity barb style high res injectors (bought from Greg Gordon) and they perform excellently.
Steve
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Changing the low impendance to high won't fry the ECU, it might not work but it wonk fry anything.

Get the fuel rail and injector base flange from a 164 and make custom intake pipes, then you can fit any O-ring injector you want.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Steve and Mats

Thank you very much for the replies. I had not thought about adapting a 164 fuel rail. I will start looking for one now. That is much better than trying to make my own rail.
James
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Should I consider using a 164 plenum and runners also?
This would most likely bring with it throttle cable problems. Does anyone know if this is practical? Are 164 runners larger diameter than 3.0l alfa 75 intake runners?