x-rad
Verde
Verde

New Headlight assembly

Post by x-rad »

Here is a problem some of you may have faced:
Rusted headlight adjusting screws
After breaking one or two trying to adjust the headlight aim, I realized that finding these little buggers is as difficult as making new ones. I tried to use brass inserts(the ones used for woodworking) placed into the grill. This worked well, but adjustability is limited. So, I considered a whole new headlight mount which uses 5 3/4 inch rounds. Found that the BMW 325 late eighties headlight assembly pictured below is very close in size to the Alfa light positions and has mounting brackets. New price is a little high, but considering that Hella conversion is almost 100$ a pair, it's not much more for new BMW parts (or I could look in a junk yard). I plan to trim out the back of the grill where the lights go while leaving the front portion of the surround intact. Also, a mounting frame will be fabricated behind the grill to mount the BMW 'light rack."
Now I know that this mod causes me to lose some "Alfa" integrity, but I think that overall improvement will be significant.
Any opinions?? Any other ideas??
Attachments
P800021411HEL.jpg
P800021411HEL.jpg (34.08 KiB) Viewed 5300 times
tImBoWe
Gold
Gold

Post by tImBoWe »

These are on ebay motors at the mo. Look under GTV6doorlatch and handle + NOS parts grab bag. Check it out. Probably go cheap. Been there a while.
Attachments
6c_1.jpg
6c_1.jpg (20.96 KiB) Viewed 5290 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

These are real nice, but i am still faced with the problem of rusted out screw mounts stuck in the grill. I remeasured from some good photos..The gap between the headlights on the BMW mount is a little too wide for the alfa, so this would need modification as well. Did see some sheap ones on ebay, though.......
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

Keep trying,

I was interested in a similar modification as one of my screws is rusted and can't get the pliers in behind it. so i may have to butcher it. :cry:
Also the idea of getting better light on the road is a great bonus.

Keep us informed.

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Headlights on the way..

Post by x-rad »

I just scored a set of 1986 BMW E30(very common) chassis headlights on ebay for 30$. These are definate NOT the elipsoid superbright specialty lamps! However, these are the all metal housing type (as opposed to the aftermarket and newer plastic types) which makes my job of modifying, cutting, welding a small frame much easier! There are two posterior adjusting screws for each lamp (look like the nylon retainers for GTV6 tailights). I will probably make a small access hole just inside of the hood mounts and fab some kind of plastic cover for them.

These are standard sealed beam headlamps which cost about 8$ on the net. I could still install the H4 bulb and lamp housing if I wanted to spend an extra 200$
Attachments
0a_2.jpg
0a_2.jpg (9.99 KiB) Viewed 5254 times
00_1_b.jpg
00_1_b.jpg (41.13 KiB) Viewed 5255 times
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

So you're gonna put the newer E30 lights using modified the older E30 housing?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

The plan is to use the old e30 housing with new cheap Sylvania lamps. Later, I may want to use newer (and cheaper by BMW standards) aftermarket 5 3/4 inch housings with H4 bulbs. I don't plan to use the BMW lamps specifically as they cost too much. They would look nice but I don't think they will fit.

Also, I have an old nice chrome Alfetta center grill. My goal is to obtain the plastic Alfetta grill piece and redo the whole front grill in a retro style (or not). Maybe I can have the grill pieces wet jet cut in aluminum........

X