SPAIN
Silver
Silver

ENGINE ISOLATION

Post by SPAIN »

Could somebody help me,

I live in Spain. I have had to rip out the engine isolation, the first fixed under the bonnet and the second positioned verticaly at the end of the engine bay.

Is it absolutely necessary to replace it and if I should where can I but it ?

Regards,

Pancho
MD
Verde
Verde

Body

Post by MD »

Hey Pancho ( I've always wanted to say that !) :)

OK mate. Are you talking about insulation which is what I think you mean?

If this is what you mean, then the answer to your question is a personal one. The job of the insulation is to reduce cabin noise and heat transfer. If you are not concerned by these things, then leave it off.

The one under the bonnet also helps to absorb engine noise and to some degree minimises the effects of radiant heat from the manifolds when they get a bit tropical.. er hot. The idea here is that it will reduce the impact on your bonnet paintwork over time but in practice I don't think it makes a lot of difference as there are many cars running around without it and suffer no consequence as a result. Hence a personal preference.

I would love to tell you in Spanish but the only thing I know how to do in Spanish is eat olives.

..Did you hear the one about Cisco and Pancho sleeping under the stars...?? :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
SPAIN
Silver
Silver

INSULATION

Post by SPAIN »

Thanks MD for your comments. Nice to hear frm an Auzie. I was born in Subiaco, Perth, WA but came to Spain when I was 11, Spanish parents emigrated to Australia in the 60's.

Thanks again.

Regards,

Pancho
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Pancho,

Glad to help.
You have an interesting background and I see you can take a joke as well !! Best combo.

Cheers.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
cchan
Platinum
Platinum

Engine insulation

Post by cchan »

Hello Spain,

I am in a similar situation as you are. What did you finally do to your Alfa to settle this issue? Did you find out where it purchase new parts or did you custom make it?? Maybe you just left it off per possible suggestions of MD. Thanks for your input
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

on most of my cars the insulation as always been a little ripped and shabby. for this reason i never run insulation anywhere and rip it out first chance i get. never had any problems without it.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

If you don't have insulation and do wish to add some, there's always the choice of aftermarket sound deadening such as Dynamat Xtreme, Dynamat Hoodliner or Stinger Expert Roadkill. All are high heat resistant and help deadening quite well, although if your on a path to lightening your car, probably not the best option ;)

ROCK ON
R~R
constantinemacris
Gold
Gold

Post by constantinemacris »

Rip the old horse hair stuff out and put in some modern insulation. On the inside of the firewall i am putting fire retardent fiberglass insulation. Shields from sound and gives you a small measure of safety if you have an engine fire. I am considering Dynamat extreme on the inside of that. On the outside you can use anything with a reflective face to reflect heat an anything that is a high temp foam to deaden sound. The Dynamat extreme does not do that. It controls chassis vibrations which is good but not exactly what you want. Have had luck with marine grade sound insulation. It has lead reflective sheet, foam sandwitch around a rubber core. Seems pretty nice. I will take dB readings when i get everything togehter.
I have a marine business and get just about everything really cheap so marine grade is what it is!!

I also found this stuff called Silent Running SR1000 that is a water based chassis dampner. Coverts chassis vibrations to low grade heat. Becuase it is waterbased be sure you PRIME before you put it down!!! You just paint the stuff on at 40 mill thick!. The first time i scuffed the surface like it said and i got to some bare metal. I put the stuff over not knowing and the next day you could see the rust stains through the coating... It gets hard as rock so i hope it is all ok and my whole floor doesn't rust out now!