Austin GTV6
Silver
Silver

Window trim removal

Post by Austin GTV6 »

How do you remove the black trim pieces from the bottoms of the windows? Each piece of weather stripping has shrunk about one inch which allows water to enter the doors and rear fender panels. I read on the old GTV6.org site that it's possible to heat and stretch the weather stripping, but first it must be removed and this requires removal of the black trim pieces. Not wanting to screw up the trim, I thought I'd seek advice here.
John in Denver
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Denver »

There seems to be nothing holding these pieces in but inertia! When I took mine out (to paint the car) they just peeled away. The trouble is now, that mine have shrunk in width as well as length and I have had to glue them in place. Let me know how you get on with the heating and stretching (which must inevitably make them more narrow?!). I've never seen replacements for these.
Austin GTV6
Silver
Silver

Post by Austin GTV6 »

John,
Thanks for the reply, but what I need to know is how the black metal trim is removed. I don't think the weather strip will come out without removing the trim first.
Hippo58
Silver
Silver

Post by Hippo58 »

Hi, I don't really know how the black trim is taken out but I will make a guess!

The wiper from the INSIDE of the window is taken out by removing the trim panel and then drilling the 3-4 (I think) rivets that hold the cromed trim to the door frame. The rubber is SLIDED in the rail of that cromed piece. Now I ASSUME that the outer wiper is similarly hold into place and probably you have to take it out from the inside rather that the outside. Wind down the window, get a torch, open up the gap between the wipers and check inside and along the wiper length to see any rivets, screws clips etc.

I hope it will help a bit.

good luck.
Petros. Transaxleista!
balocco
Silver
Silver

Post by balocco »

Hippo 58 is correct front driver and passenger side windows must be removed to access (3) three phillips head screws that hold the metal trim in place. Once screws are removed. trim can be popped off clips.

Rear trim is removed by removing rear seats rear left and right side panels(and window crank handles) next to phillips head screw holding window channel is a rubber plug. Pull rubber plug to access (1) phillips screw that holds trim in place. Once removed trim slides up from clips)
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

has no one found a replacement for these pieces of rubber??!?!?!?..i would figure most rubber trim dealers could likely fint something that atleast fits the place ...may not be 100% stock but close enuf to look and do the part
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

check the big rebuild places like Kanter or JC Whitney.

Also: http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/catalogue.htm
or: http://www.scottsoldautorubber.com.au/A ... %20GTV.htm

Look under general products rubber extrusions...pg9-14.

Usually, you can supply them with a profile or piece and they can match it. it may not be exact Alfa(standard v metric), but close enough. I know JC used to sell the tube style door seal attached to the 'U' shaped plasctic covered metal clips (only a few $ a foot or less)....

I read above about the heat and stretch idea.....unless you are somehow incorporating the chemicals lost from the rubber over the years, I don't think it will work.

Also, check inner door drains. If you must drive in the rain, make sure drains are not full of dirt/rust.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

actualy someones going to shoot me over this one but if you dont mind loseing the fuzzy covering ...the actual door seals are the same as most 70-90's chevy trucks as well as toyota trucks
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

KABLAMO ! :D
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose