zambon
Verde
Verde

open season: question involving personal taste

Post by zambon »

Hi
I have a red milano verde that is due to be painted in the next month or two. I have been considering going with a non stock color. I know that many people think that t his is blasphemy(sp?) but, the stock bright red screams ¨fast car here.¨ I like the red enough, and on an Italian car it is appropriate, but still with a slightly darker red it would be more of a sleeper. I guess the milano will be a sleeper no matter what color it is. So I am just rambling.
Ok, assuming I stick with the stock red, should it be ok to go with some metal flakes in the paint? I generally like metal flake paint, but I dont know if it would work with red. (I dont want the car to look like a bass boat or a hot import night wanker).
Concluding question: Should I stick with a conservative stock respray or go for somthing more interesting? My car is not a restoration, remember.
Anybody seen 75/milanos with non stock red paint?
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

First of all, which stock red do you have? :)

AR555 or AR130? the 130 is much darker and much nicer.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

hmm, good question. I most likely have the bright one...
All I know is that there were only three colors available for the US milano verde: anthracite, black, and the red that I have. Is there a paint code I can find on the car to verify this? Or maybe some other red verde owner knows the number.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

On the bottom of the trunklid there is a label with color code.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Steve R »

A few years ago I had a 75 (Milano) that the previous owner had resprayed from factory black over to Red, he didn't use an Alfa paint colour but instead used... gasp... Ford "Radiant Red". Gotta say it looked fabulous, much "brighter" red than the stock colour.

As a matter of interest when the bodywork on my factory black GTV6 was restored some years ago I opted for a non stock colour too. Mine is the black paint code Porsche 734 with double the amount of metal flake, jus because I liked the clour.

I guess the key is if you are ever interested in concours or originality then stick with stock, otherwise go with whatever you like best as it's a purely personal choice.
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
Dennis
Gold
Gold

Post by Dennis »

I too have a non Alfa colour, ferrari yellow. Just because I didn't like the Alfa yellow that much.

Ferrari's Rosso Corsa is also a beautiful colour. I believe Brian Berger's car has that red. Looks great!
'81 GTV6 3.0 QV
'91 75 TS (track)
'02 BMW 330i Touring
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Rossa Corsa.. the only way to be! And,Dennis, I could have guessed that was a Ferrari Yellow. It looks great!
Vittorio
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I would not worry too much about making it the original color. I like to keep it close enough so the underhood area looks ok without repainting but that's just me.

My daughter wants to repaint her GTV6 Purple! That's going too far so we are arguing about that.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Greg- Ive actually seen a purple GTV6 and a metallic light shade does the shape a lot of justice- I couldnt believe it!

Dennis your paint job looks horn!

Zambon, what I have seen, and love on 75s is deep gloss red- I think Ford have one their charts, so it could be the one your'e talking about.

Also easier and cheaper to repaint if someone dings you, but alot of guys out here tend to paint up the black strips. With the wrong colour it can ruin a 75, but with the right colour, it suits them no end.

My favourite choice for a 75 is a light metallic champagne. There's a 3.0 going round with it in SYdney that has slightly dished five spokes and gold centres, and it looks fantastic.

I want a 105 in a similar colour scheme- very different to your typical Alfa Red red red red red red red, but still very Euro, which is what I like!
Fixing it bit by bit....
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Jules has a good point there about using a common color from Ford, G.M. or whoever. That way it's a lot easier to match for repairs.

I am still not on board with this Purple idea though.
MD
Verde
Verde

Body exterior

Post by MD »

The Alfa 105 midnight blue will put a horn on a jelly fish !!
:D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Alfa GTV6 NZ
Gold
Gold

Post by Alfa GTV6 NZ »

I have a silver GTV6.

I was thinking of respraying it with the Honda Accord Euro R metallic silver.
It looked very close to the original and most repairers would know how to mix the common colour.

Karl
1987 GTV6 - Livin in New Zealand.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

My friend recently repainted a 124CC in Honda's S2000 metallic, That is a top colour, and would suit your GTV6 with those wheels on it!

Zambon, perhaps you should look at that colour too? Then a set of simmons FR17 with gold centres.... mmmmmmmmm!

http://www.simmonswheel.com.au/range.html#
Fixing it bit by bit....
redmist
Silver
Silver

Post by redmist »

although i'm a bit of a purist- i think it's ok to paint a milano in non-standard colors. i like your idea of painting the car a darker red. back when the gtv6 was a brand new car, i remember seeing my first one, and i could swear that it was a darker shade of red than exists today. this is probably just my faulty memory. i had a scirocco at the time, and the dealership i bought it at was an alfa/volkswagon dealer and a gtv6 was on the lift. perhaps it was the wine color that was available for 1 year?

in any case, here is a color that i think suits any alfa very well:

http://www.pbase.com/threefourfive/image/33717593

i agree, usually bright red is a bit too much for my taste.

btw- what does it cost to re-paint a car these days? i'm also thinking about it.