Keith
Silver
Silver

Replacing a GTV6 windshield

Post by Keith »

My windshield was broken yesterday by a large rock on the highway. Before I have it replaced I would like to remove the interior trim pieces on the left and right sides of the windshield so the shop doing the work wont damage them. Can anyone tell me how they come off?
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

Not exactly sure you need to take them off to get to the windshield. Its held in by a pressure seal...no glue or anything like that. You might get lucky (I did) and be able to push it out up at the top.

I had a couple guys helping but this work for me. I slid the seat forward put my feet at the top of the glass and gently pushed forward until it started to release. Remember though...equal pressure (I had the steering wheel and column torn down as well) I'm sure there is a much safer, and better method....but i was in a rush.

But to answer your question the leather trim pieces on either side of the pillar have screws underneath the leather at the top....and I think at the bottom as well. You can peel back the leather because (if I remember correctly) it tucks into the door seals. That should help.

Rob
'84 GTV-6
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

Thanks. I thought something like a screw was under the material for the sides, just didnt want to pull everything off to find it. Doesnt this trim need to be removed to install the new windsheild and gasket?
jrreeve
Gold
Gold

Post by jrreeve »

I'm not sure that it does...but its been a while since i've done it. Anyone else have some thoughts on this?
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

There is a metal plate rivited on to the pillar which prevents the seal from being pulled away.You will see what I mean when you take the trim pieces off.The windshield is much easier to remove and install without this plate.
Keith
Silver
Silver

Post by Keith »

Replaced the windshield this morning with no problems. There are 2 plates on each side holding the gasket down. The person who replaced it for me said in 17 years he's never seen these plates on any other car. Only took him 1 hour to remove the old glass and install the new, he even put some urethane primer on the small amount of rust we found under the gasket.