Cassin
Silver
Silver

Removing paint from body trim & bumpers ?

Post by Cassin »

Has anyone had experience trying to remove paint from black body trim and bumpers?

I have an '86 GTV6, and after a nicely-done new white paint job, the previous owner foolishly painted all the exterior black trim with a shiny black enamel or other such paint, and it really looks like hell.

What might be the best method for removing that paint and getting back to the original flat black? Would regular old paint remover work, or am I likely to dissolve the trim?

Richard
La Jolla, California
'86 GTV6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

paint striper on plastic will trash it..soda blasting may be your best way out

another option is belive it or not dot3 brake fluid...its generaly safe to "most" plastics
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

I support the idea of using brake fluid on a test piece and see the outcome. I think it will work (if a little slow).

Be prepared to have to repaint it to get a satisfactory finish in the end. Key thing here is that prior to painting plastics, they require a special plastic primer.

If you do this, dont forget to thoroughly wash off all traces of brake fluid form all the components before repainting !!!
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Cassin
Silver
Silver

Removing paint from plastic trim

Post by Cassin »

ShortLife & MD:

Thanks for the suggestion of using brake fluid to remove paint from the plastic trim. I'll report back on the results.

Richard
La Jolla, California
'86 GTV6
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

ive been useing brake fluid on plastic for probably close to over 20 years now...tho mostly on brittle delicate plastic of 24/25th scale models

the only plastics ive so far found it harmfull to is the type of plastic used lenses suchs as tail lights and turn signals(same material as windshields of modles or the lenses of guages)....it WILL be slow..get a good stiff PLASTIC brush and work it in and let it sit overnight as wet as you can make it ..by morning scrub it with a brush and atleast half of whats there should come off

when all is said and done get a bottle of dawn and the HOTTEST water you can and scrub all pieces down with the same stiff plastic brush
aussie muscle
Silver
Silver

Post by aussie muscle »

i also agree the brake fluid should help. another alternative is Mr Muscle Extra Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner (with the warning-caustic label). get the caustic versions, as the 'non-caustic' don't do squat. i use it to strip paint of 1/24 scale model cars like shortlife does with brake fluid.

Hey shortlife, have you got a 1/24 alfa GTV? i haven't found one in plastic, but i did get a diecast one from germany on ebay, which is 1/24.
Reality is a nice place, but i wouldn't want to live there...