MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Swapping Door Parts -Advise Requested

Post by MerrilGordon »

My driver side door was recently dented in, all my fault, but now I have a replacement and need to swap the glass, and winder hardware.
I've got information on the winder hardware but am unsure how best to remove the window and corner glass (and the rest of it for that matter). I did a search on this site and didn't really see anything.
Anyone have some good "how to" information on removing the glass ?
I'd hate to scratch it up in the transfer process.
Thanks,
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Steve R
Platinum
Platinum

Door glass removal

Post by Steve R »

Hi Merril,

It's fairly straighforward:

First prise off the exterior weather proofing rubbers.

Then remove the interior door card. Unscrew the lock "button" from the top corner, 3 screws hold the main grab handle, (2 being hidden under the thin plastic strip, the other is behind the odd shaped plastic insert which prises out), the door release handle surround slides horizontally freeing that part), the door card also has cheap plastic poppers around the front, lower and rear edges - a flat lever, ideally forked and careful effort is needed otherwise the poppers snap!

The metal upright runner between moveable glass and the fixed triangular corner glass is fixed at it's top, middle and bottom. First wind the window fully down then:
Top is probably a pair of aluminium pop rivets, drill them out.
Middle is just a 3" long screw
Bottom will be a 10 or 11mm bolt (maybe two of them)

The metal runner is now unattached but will be stiff. Pull the top if it back towards the window opening, and the bottom forward towards the space under the tringular window and it will sort of rotate around the top edge of your open window glass.

The top end of the metal runner can now be moved inwards a few cm (towards the inner side of the door) and removed by pulling it straight upwards - carefully so it doesn't scratch as it's quite tight fitting.

The triangular glass will now pull straght back toward the open window and out.

The moveable window glass is only secured at the bottom by a pinch bolt, undo this and the glass easily unseats from the runner, pull the glass straight up out of the door, again it comes out via the inner side of the door most easily.

The winder mechanisms differ (seen at least 3 versions), all are intuitively removed once the glass is out.

Half hour job at most I reckon!

Hope that helps
Steve
83' GTV6, 3.0 24v supercharged
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Steve !
That's exactly what I was looking for.
Thanks !
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

It's really not that hard once you get the door trim off. You'll see how everything is held together and it's simply a matter of unbolting and carefully sliding the glass out.

The only important thing to remember is that you'll need a new pop rivet or similar to secure the upright that holds the quarter glass in place.

ROCK ON
R~R
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

Yep, I've got a rivit gun. Will get to it this weekend.
Thanks RR.
Merril
82 GTV6 3.0