JasonS
Silver
Silver

Is this supposed to be bent?

Post by JasonS »

Not likely. The picture labeled 'Bent mount' is the passenger side rear bumper mount on an '85 gtv6 (US model). The 4x4 below is square with the wheelbase to show the, um, bentness. The other pic shows the driver side mount (not bent). Has anyone had to fix this before and how involved i$ it? Is it possible to do in my garage or am I looking at a shop. I want as much knowledge as possible before I give it to a shop, say 'fix it', and get a bill for $$$$ when it's possible that it's not that involved.

Long term goals: I'll have someone pull dents and fix bent mount. From there, I'll do body filler, priming, paint engine bay, door jams, trunk area, sound deaden interior, fix misc. broken stuff and then have shop spray 'outside' parts. It's a budget body job but it allows for my ultimate goal of a supercharged 3.0 liter, programmable EFI, brake upgrades, track/street suspension set-up, you get the idea :P

Thanks,

Jason
'85 gtv6
Attachments
Bent mount
Bent mount
gtv6bumpmount.jpg (31.21 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
Straight mount
Straight mount
gtv6bumpmnt2.jpg (33.21 KiB) Viewed 4671 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

just a guess here....but , NO
JasonS
Silver
Silver

Post by JasonS »

Yeah, well the subject line was supposed to be sarcastic.

Specifically, is this fix outside of the do-it-yourselfer? If so, what would I expect a body shop to charge? What steps does a body shop take to fix something like this?

I'm not shooting for an immaculate body restoration, just something not broken looking. The bumber was askew before I took it off and a little of an eye sore. I want to get through body work asap to get on to the fun stuff so I'm looking for the easy way to fix this.

Jason
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

they will piston apart the bent member...depends on how injured is the surrounding sheet metal.

probably not a do it yourself job, unless you have the tools and experience

how does the bumper fit???
JasonS
Silver
Silver

Post by JasonS »

Unfortunately, the bumper is lop-sided. There's also a large impression or dent on the pass. side rear quarter panel where the bumper mounts to the side of the body; I can only assume that happened at the same time the mount was bent (happened before i purchased the car)

Oh well. Looks like I'll have to buck up and get it fixed professionally. Luckily, I'm done with the tear down and this was the only major issue to pop up. I'm sure we've all seen worse.

Thanks.

Jason
'85 gtv6