Cassin
Silver
Silver

Copies of Door Keys ?

Post by Cassin »

Does anyone know how to/where to obtain copies of door keys to an '86 GTV6? I have checked with several good locksmiths here in the San Diego area, and absolutely no one has these exotic key blanks. My local (and knowledgeable) mechanic says that they're simply not available.

It's also weird that there's a separate key for each of the two doors. Is that standard?

The numbers are plainly visible on the original keys, so I'm wondering if they might be obtainable directly from Alfa. I have a friend in Milano who might be able to do the footwork for me. Arese is really just a suburb, and just a short drive.

I'm scared to death of losing my one and only set of keys.

Has anyone had any experience in obtaining new keys?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

alfa key blanks all over net/ebay

try jaggraveyard

or key-men.com...i got a few here...and they had the nice resin/leather key fobs a few years ago

getting them cut is another story...
Cassin
Silver
Silver

Alfa key blanks from Key-Men.com

Post by Cassin »

Thanks enormously for the information. Key-Men.com claims that they can actually cut the keys for you if you have the key code.
'86 GTV6
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

he he heeyyy! Alllllllrighty then....let us know if they work!
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

Just use a dremel :D (ive done it before, not on an alfa, but a GM key. worked great)
tcl
Silver
Silver

Post by tcl »

This place cut a key for me (see link below). They were recommended by a poster on another Alfa BB. They identified the code from a digital photo of the original key. They mailed me the cut key but I haven't had a chance to try it yet since my car is in the shop. They blank I ordered looked more like the original key than the photos shown here.

http://www.keys4classics.com/html/ARGTV81-89.html
MatthewK
Silver
Silver

Post by MatthewK »

... and no, they are not normally keyed differently for the driver and passenger door! Someone must have replaced one of your exterior handles.
1984 GTV 2.0 twin carb
1987 Alfa 75 2.5 V6