x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

If you are really serious about getting a carbon fiber or other glass hood...the whole process of making a mold and laying up the material is not very complex.

All you really need is a used steel hood as your model. Many web sites show how to do it. I have actually worked on boat hulls...it is not a difficult process. The only thing is if you are not painting the carbon fiber, you want to lay up a nice pattern so it looks good. That takes a little skill.

And when yopu make your mold, you can eliminate the hood hole or add vents or whatever...
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

you want to talk about how nutty homeland security is....I am in the Navy, with proper ID, on orders (with a copy in hand), with seabag, and I get treated like a common criminal, plus recieve higher scruitiny than most other folks. Explain that one :?

scott

Sorry...WAY off topic. rant ended.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

well, you must not be entering across the Rio Grande........most people come to the states via this route cause there is much less security hassle

Or by trash truck from Canada....

(I do agree with you!... put your life on the line for years and get treated like shit....that does sound like typical USA bullshit....) :evil:
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

Post by Paul Bird »

HI guys, I would be up for one of these bonnets if it can be arranged!

PB UK
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

MR2 Zig wrote:you want to talk about how nutty homeland security is....I am in the Navy, with proper ID, on orders (with a copy in hand), with seabag, and I get treated like a common criminal, plus recieve higher scruitiny than most other folks. Explain that one :?

scott

Sorry...WAY off topic. rant ended.
dont be sorry Zig, its a bloody disgrace the way you guys are treated!. HS are rude assholes every trip I make too. I was stopped with a colleague at Gulfport, MS in February, coming home to UK.. it all got very nasty when an explosive swab test on a fast jet part we were ferrying from another airport came back positive, even though we told them we were jet engineers, gave them tel numbers and paperwork to verify the parts, and told them to verify. This dumn whop arsed Buford T. justice security guy says...

" jeeeez , are you english guys plannin' on messin with dat der airioplane with dat eee..lectrauunic stuff or somethin?"...

he then asks my colleague what he planned to do with a set of strip master aircraft wire strippers in his suit case. like 2 white english blokes were going to run out to the parking stand and re wire a damn MD80 to crash! he was so dumn it was scary.
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

funny thing is I've got a buddy, a retired Aviation Ordinanceman Master Chief, who could make any number of things go poof out of the coffee supplies in his service van. but he gets passed thru security lickety split....to go fix the coffee maker.

another buddy works as an airframe and powerplant mechanic for a major airline and says that ther is no real security at the mechanics gate at sfo. If you have something that looks like a vendor or airline badge you can just walk onto the airport.

scott
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

I know a guy who is making an air scoop mould for a gtv6.
Basically what he does is cut a hole in the original plastic plate, then attaches the scoop on top of that which is made exactly to suit, but you dont know or can see the plastic plate is there. So once done just bolt the sucker on, done.
Scoop is a very sleek and low cut design, when ready i will take some pics.
I asked whether he was going to make a scoop which extends further to the back of the bonnett, but he is only making scoop the size of the plastic plate for now...
I was looking at callaways scoop, and basically its just lower than that(scoop were talking about) and doesnt stretch as far back.

Anyway in a week i should have a pic. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Ok this took longer than a week to get sorted, but finally have pics of an air scoop which i'm fitting to my bonnet. I mentioned that scoop would be attached to the existing plastic plate, but will be fitting directly to the bonnet with rubber seals and bolting to flanges made within scoop. Will have mesh inside covering hole just in case some foreign objects make their way in there.
Has not been painted yet, dummy fitted for pics.

Will post final pic of scoop painted and fitted to bonnet.
I must say i'm so glad to be rid of that plastic plate, will be good to have something different and putting that hole in the bonnet to good use! Now to get rid of standard side mirrors which i'm replacing with race spec slim line ones.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

hmm that could look really good...bad lighting to tell for sure tho :p
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Should look good, fingers crossed. :wink:

Selling 1985 GTV6.