Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

The more I look at it, the more I think the factory may have had something like that in mind when they designed the hood.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Greg...I agree 100%...but i bet the cost was too much or the design toned down...it seems to only make sense
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

with the hood open in the center, radiator temp is about 5-10 degrees cooler on long hauls
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

Thats cool that it worked out so well. I actually used the plastic third brake light holder as a hood scoop in a different car ( cheap beater I had awhile ago), I recessed into the hood, and used Bondo to smooth the lines. I almost couldn't tell that it wasn't stock, and It didn't look like a brake light cover either. :D
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

This v6 on ebay had an approach ... though I can't say that I care for it ... look like 280ZX vents or something??

GV
Attachments
6b17_12.JPG.jpg
6b17_12.JPG.jpg (23.93 KiB) Viewed 8722 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

They look a little tacky, not to mention they are back too far. Vents need to be as far forward as possible, and scoops as close to the windshield.
John in Denver
Silver
Silver

Post by John in Denver »

Greg: this looks like a nice little project for you (to start producing a hood vent unit)... it is performance related after all (to a small degree). :D ..... or have you already got this underway :lol: ????? You can put me on the purchase list!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have thought about, but right now I am swamped with a 4cyl project as well as an extreem update of the original SuperVerde car. I really don't have time to add anything onto my plate.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Well here it is, painted white for now to match car....
Attachments
IMG_2149.JPG
IMG_2149.JPG (101.31 KiB) Viewed 8495 times
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

By the way, this vent works...a lot of heat escapes when driving...vent is hot to the touch after a cruise...and radiator temp is down

I think this is a good use of the hood hole if like the look...
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Gee...no comments on the vent...

You guys were all over the 'scoop' thing... :shock:
GregoryV
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GregoryV »

xrad - Been out to lunch for a lot of the summer (and have my interior out) - like the vented hood, but it would be nice if it had a more finished look ... yeah, I know easier said then done. :)

The darn plastic panel in the hood thing I've quit thinking about just because I can't figure out anything better - on one hand if it was just smooth it would be better, but I tried that and am not so sure. And don't care for the look of a Callaway scoop. The S.A. 3.0 hood is the right thing but good luck on that one - though I suppose you could buy a hood, seal up the hole and cut the vent, etc. like one ...

GV

BTW - passed CA Smog again!
Attachments
img_2149_201 copy.jpg
img_2149_201 copy.jpg (58.42 KiB) Viewed 8192 times
20-Years-3-Motors-Later
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

The Carbon Fiber hood from http://prototypecomposites.com/ is by far my favorite looking in raw form. Maybe they can make it without the tea tray. The CF hood weighs 8lbs, which is light and I am sure very strong but I got a fiber glass hood through Scuderia del Biscione in France a year ago and it is even lighter!
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Gregory:

It will be welded in and gaps smoothed when body work done...rivets are temporay
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I think it looks great the way it is, but smoothed in will probably be even better.