bteoh
Platinum
Platinum

Headlamp washers

Post by bteoh »

I am not sure if it's only peculiar to Australian RHD cars but was wondering how the headlamp washer units that are screwed on the top of the front bumpers work. There's a water line connecting them but somehow, I think it's been blocked off by someone else. When I tried to connect them up, water seems to drip out continuously till the water reservoir gets empty. Should there be a non return valve somewhere in there as that would make sense and prevent water from flowing unless the washer motor gets turn on. I know I should just forget about hooking it up as there's little to be gained from the setup but would just like it to be as close to OEM or in the condition as it left the factory. Thanks for any info, brian
scott.venables
Gold
Gold

Post by scott.venables »

On 75's, the fluid for the headlamp washers comes from a separate pump on the windscreen washer reservoir. It's the bigger pump. The line is quite big and runs underneath the coil , and then around the outside of the battery and through the hole underneath the left hand headlight to a T-piece behind the bumper. I pulled it off my car but I can't remember if there were any non-return valves. Both the headlight washer pumps I had were rusted and split so I turned up a brass plug to fit into the rubber seal and now I only have windscreen washers.

Cheers, Scott