MManley
Silver
Silver

Bumper Shocks and Mounts

Post by MManley »

The last year has been tough on my GTV6. She'd never been in a wreck and now
she's been rear ended and had a car pull out directly in front of her. The back was repaired
easily enough but the front needs a new bumper shock and new or repair of the shock mount. These are, of course NLA new. I know this has happened to lots of other GTV6s out there but I haven't seen anything about replacement. What do your guys do in this case. To get a used bumper shock mount the junkyard wanted to sell me a whole front clip!
Suggestions?
Thanks, Mark
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

If you are doing the work yourself try the self service yards and get just whart you want. Otherwise try Larry at APE in Tracy, California. If you do try APE leave a message...Larry will get back to you. He's a one man shop and if he's under a car when the phone rings, the phone waits a bit.

I've done business with APE and been very happy.

HTH,
Scott
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

you could always colapse the other side to give it a more euro look
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

You could also fabricate your own bumper shock. Just get some flat plate metal and a small piece of steel tubing and weld it up. I did that to replace mine (I made them shorter for the euro look like sh0rtlife said), but you could just make them to the same specs as the original.

Carson
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Check out DeNoya Trading Post on ebay, he usually has a few bumper shocks.....
MManley
Silver
Silver

Post by MManley »

I found a shock at DiFatta's. Much to my surprise when I opened the box it was a brand NEW bumper shock! None of the parts houses had any but they had one from somewhere.
I got the mounting bracket and another shock from a very gracious gentleman back East
who cut the mount off a car he was using for parts. Alfa owners tend to be very good people
it seems!
Hooray!