zambon
Verde
Verde

Carbon trunk lid (75 Milano)

Post by zambon »

I finally made a trunk lid for my Milano. It was my first time using the mold, so the result left a bit to be desired. I had to add a bit of filler and glaze to smooth out the surface. It was also my first time pulling from a mold of that size. My vacuum pump proved to be a bit weak for the task, due to the size of the project.
I am currently working on a second pump. I hope that I will be able to get a nicer finish with more vacuum. Once I get that sorted out, I will make a hood.

The trunk lid is constructed from carbon fiber with kevlar cloth and kevlar honeycomb as a core. The result is very stiff. This thing will not be flopping down the road.
I have not trimmed around the outside of the part yet, but even so, it is shockingly light: 3.75lbs!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I just put my unfinished hood on the scale and it came in at 6lbs. That means that my pre paint total is below 10 lbs for the hood and trunk.
Photos coming soon.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

Here are some photos of my hood and trunk. They are now roughly trimmed, but unfinished. They will need some filler and paint before installation.
Attachments
DSC02188.JPG
DSC02188.JPG (154.31 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
DSC02189.JPG
DSC02189.JPG (145.52 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
DSC02191.JPG
DSC02191.JPG (146.73 KiB) Viewed 6012 times
DSC02192.JPG
DSC02192.JPG (149.38 KiB) Viewed 6013 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Would be interesting to see what it would weigh if you made it in glassfibre, not that big a differance I think. 8)
Maybe the CF parts are a little bit stiffer though.

What are they going onto?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I will be making some parts in glass at some point. It will be much easier than this carbon to work with. The carbon that I have is thick and strong, but not as delicate as regular glass weave.
I think you could make glass parts in the area of this weight, but they would be really floppy. Ok for racing, I guess.

On the trunk, I think that the stiffness is key in case you would want to mount a spoiler. I dont like to look at spoilers, but on the track maybe I would consider running one.

Dont underestimate the carbon. Glass needs to be several layers thicker than carbon. Even with extra layers, it tends not to be as stiff.

Carbon is overpriced right now, if you can even get it. Making traditional glass parts attractive.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

These parts will go onto a car that will see street duty (at least for a while). Driving schools and club track days will be its greatest glory.

The car's previous owner is wikidchicken from the bb. I will pick it up in a few days. Milano gold with a 3.0l and a platinum transaxle 8)
AC has been removed, as well as power steering. It has a set of 15in panasport pro rallys, new ansa muffler, and many other little mods that will all be replaced in time. The best part about the car: no sunroof. I will also fit my Evoluzione kit after it has been reproduced (in lightweight glass instead of the regular chopper gun glass). I want to make it as light as I can without spending another fortune.
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

I have finally gotten the hood and trunk lid installed. Since these are the first pulls, everything was experimental and I learned a few things that will make the next parts better than these.
The car is noticably different with the reduced weight. The first thing I noticed was that the wheel is easier to handle at low speeds (The car is a Milano with power steering pump delete). That was a nice surprise.
The hood looks a bit wavy now that it is painted. That is due to problems with the way that I laid it up. I think it might be better to paint it flat black to hide the defects.
The trunk lid looks good. If not for the hood pins, it might pass for stock. The paint seems to be bubbling on the trunk though, so it is going back to the paint shop. Until that happens, i dont plan to mount the spoiler or license plate lights.