tmundy
Silver
Silver

De Dion removal

Post by tmundy »

Now the weather is getting better here in Blighty I am going to start refurbishing the rear of my 83 GTV6. I have seen many tips on how to remove the Transaxle but not on how to remove the De Dion and Transaxle together. Basically I want to drop the whole lot as one unit.

Can anyone offer advice/tips on the process? The one thing I have read is that it is heavy and can crush limbs if no care is taken. Note to myself, TAKE CARE.

I don't have a ramp (next house maybe) so will be using axle stands and jacks.

Thanks, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

De dion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi, If you give me a ring I will try to explain the proceedure to you, I have done it many times and it is a lengthy process.

Paul UK
07814 055232
01202 671408
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Thanks for that Paul, I'll owe you a beer or two.

I would like to call you when I am under the car so as I can see first hand what you are explaining. I intend to start this Saturday, are you ok with me calling you at 14:00 on Saturday?

Do you think it is the best way, or is it best to remove Transaxle and De Dion seperately?

Thanks, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

De dion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony, Yes 14.00 saturday should be ok, I have always removed the gearbox first then the rear axle, it makes for a lighter transaction. But give me ring any time and I will be only too happy to help.

Paul UK
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

De dion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony, how are you getting on with the removal of your de dion?

Paul uk.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Maybe he did one of those Darwin Award type of things and dropped it on his face? :?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

No darwins awards from me, yet!

Just not had the time to start, wife got to many jobs for me.

In actual fact I made a start this afternoon, slight problem though I can't find my circlip pliers, need them to remove clutch slave cylinder. Hope to find the time one evening this week, or maybe Saturday to continue.

Cheers, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

De dion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony, you can unbolt the clutch slave cylider from the gear box with alittle work. Never mind the jobs in the house, this is far more impotant!
Give me a call if you have any problems.

Paul UK.
Attachments
virusalfa[1].gif
virusalfa[1].gif (13.02 KiB) Viewed 12306 times
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Never mind the jobs in the house, I would agree with that however I want to move to a new garage that maybe has a house attached (got my priorities right). Got a few things to do to on our pad before we can put it on the market, deadline is end of May due to the new house buying pack.

I too thought about removing the slave cylinder complete (bracket included) but the top nut was a bitch hence needing the circlip pliers. Another problem I had was the brake & Clutch pipe to flexible pipe unions, rusted solid, in the end I cut the fexible pipes, going to replace them anyway.

Cheers, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

De dion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony, yes that is the best idea, I would love a house with a double garage, plnty of room for my compressor and other tools, oh and my alfa of course. I run a property maintenece business if you need any work done! (on the cheap).
Well you now have your alfa virus to keep you going for a while, I know what you mean about rusty pipes, they are a bitch arnt they?

Cheers, Paul.
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Still not got round to doing anything more on the transaxle, much to my annoyance. This weekend is also full:

Saturday: Italian Car day at Brooklands
Sunday: family gathering and painting the outside of the house.
Monday: Car boot Sale.

So as I can get on with my baby I intend to take a few days of work, not sure when though, busy at work as well.
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

de dion removal

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony,

I know how you feel, I dont get much time to work on mine either. I will manage to get in my garage tomorrow for the first time in 2 weeks. I was told by a body shop today that I should be quick in getting the paint (Cellulose) as it comes off the market when stocks run out, so that will be the next job! Better finish the welding!

Good luck with your's
Paul.

Drive it like you stole it :twisted:
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

This weekend I finally got round to continuing the rear end project. Only 2-3 month after my original post.

The transaxle came out pretty easy in the end, the only real fiddly bit was getting it far enough forward so as the back would drop down below the dion tube.

Next job, drop the dion tube. One problem I have found is that the right side wheel bearing needs replacing, while I'm at it I will probably do both. Problem is though that the 36mm nut is bloody tight. Ended up buying a much more powerful impact gun which also does not have enough grunt. Will wait now until I get the dion tube out, I will then ask my friendly shot blaster to have a go.
tmundy
Silver
Silver

Post by tmundy »

Dion out, no real problems encountered. Found quite a bit of rust though, thankfully most of it looks superficial.

Next jobs:

Remove driveshaft
Sort rusty areas
Blast Dion, Watts linakage and anything else I find (not wife though, to good at making tea)
Paint the above (using Epoxy Mastic from www.rust.co.uk)

Question about the dion centre bush. I see that it is held in place by 6 or 8 lugs. I guess you have to remove these (grind them off) before you can take the old one out and put new (superflex) in. My concern is that once you grind them off you have no way of holding the new bush in, or does that not matter?

Another question, rear wheel bearings, I read in another bb that you need to use special tool available from International Autos (http://www.international-auto.com/index ... p&pid=2725) to remove and install rear wheel bearings. Is this the only way or is there a workaround?

Once again, thanks, Tony
Paul Bird
Gold
Gold

DeDion

Post by Paul Bird »

Hi Tony,
Give me a ring and I will talk to you about the rear bearings.

Paul B.
07814 055232
01202 671408