Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

RS Racing sway bars

Post by Alfettish »

Hey all,
I'm considering getting a pair of swaybars from RS. I'm wondering about the uniball reaction arms that one of the fronts comes with. Anyone know what they are for?
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

If you're talking about the unibal links (two identical pieces) they replace the swaybar to lower A-arm factory links offering zero compliance. There are similar but longer links for the rear swaybar.
Jim K.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Oh, so their puropse is for a more rigid setup?
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Alfettish wrote:Oh, so their puropse is for a more rigid setup?
If they allow adjustment of the fitting on the bar, front or rearwise it also adjusts stiffness of the setup
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Cool.
So what about torsion bars for a street car? I couldn't find any on that site, where can (should) I get some from?
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

alfa ricambi sells 27mm super sport bars that are fine for street driving and really improve track driving. performatek sells 27 and 33mm bars.
v
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

The spherical rod-ends in this case have nothing to do with adjusting stiffness on the bar - I guess that you COULD do that, but you DON'T! (The anti-roll bar/sway bar should not have ANY pre-load on it!!!)

Ron's adjustable reaction arms are there as part of the kit SPECIFICALLY to avoid pre-load on the bar - especially on lowered cars! You install the bar - leaving one rod-end dangling, then with the car at full-rest, on the ground (easier on an alignment rack), you adjust the loose rod-end (slipping it on and off of the mounting-pin on the lower-control arm) until it goes on freely and without tension.

Install it, nut it and lock it all up! Done.

As far as the torsion bars; Ron's setup was tuned specifically to work with the stock bars! You can never add that level of stiffness (100kg to 125kg PER SIDE required to make these cars in to something) with bigger torsion bars! In any case, the bigger bars will make setting ride-height a living hell! (You can't pass them out through the rear of the cross-member to make adjustments on the lower-control-arm end...)

Believe me - I learned this the hard way! Keep the stock bars - add the RSRacing coil-overs! (We're sending another set down to Australia as we speak (actually Group 2 here in Seattle is) and Ron and I are planning a trip down there in March to setup a local distributor!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Thanks JJ, the coilovers look very attractive but I don't have the money at the moment.
I'll go with the sway bars at first and then save :)

Where do you think you'll be setting up the distributor? If you come to Canberra I'll put you guys up; plenty of room at my pad :)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Thanks for the invite - we are open at this stage - have a few engine buyers all over the place too...
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

I haven't seen any pic of the swaybar in topic, what I meant was adjusting the fitting of the swaybar, as the mspaint artwork might show.
Swaybar and A-arms in black, stiff setting in red and normal setting in blue.
Attachments
torsion.JPG
torsion.JPG (5.09 KiB) Viewed 12073 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yeah, it's the "stiff setting" part in your depiction that does not exist on this particular bar (or any other Alfa bar that I have seen...)

The bars are secured by two bushed center-mounts and the reaction arms attach to the lower control arms - here - a couple of shots so that we can be on the same page...
Attachments
DSCFa0009.JPG
DSCFa0009.JPG (53.45 KiB) Viewed 12055 times
kart foto's wil juni2004 014.jpg
kart foto's wil juni2004 014.jpg (87.4 KiB) Viewed 12056 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

...the only part not visible here are the two center-mount clamps that secure the horizontal section of the bar to the front cross-member...
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

junglejustice wrote:...the only part not visible here are the two center-mount clamps that secure the horizontal section of the bar to the front cross-member...
Ok, then I follow... thought it was something like this:
http://new.minimania.com/web/Item/NMS20 ... %20%26%20S
or this
http://www.altaminiperformance.com/Asse ... Sway01.jpg

Then I'm with you..so the only purpose of adjusting the length/height(as the topic was about) is to let the bar be parallel with the ground at any setup, lowered or not, right?
TS_turbo
Gold
Gold

Post by TS_turbo »

jol wrote:I haven't seen any pic of the swaybar in topic, what I meant was adjusting the fitting of the swaybar, as the mspaint artwork might show.
Swaybar and A-arms in black, stiff setting in red and normal setting in blue.
:D yes you are right .. and other way to make AR bars adjustable in stiffnes is this
Attachments
brake_hose_front_jpg.jpg
brake_hose_front_jpg.jpg (62.09 KiB) Viewed 12030 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

I don't get it- I don't even see a bar in that picture...? :oops: