AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Replacing the rear transaxle mount

Post by AlfaTipo »

Got the old bastard out (pretty much fell out, it was seriously 'degraded').

However, the new one is something else. Is there away to fit it without using the special tool (A.3.0413)?

I just destroyed one mount (fortunately I had another) using a bolt and a couple of steel plates.

Does the outer rubber layer strip away?

Stumped in Stump Town.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Rear mount done, now another question is raised

Post by AlfaTipo »

.....and so is the mount.

The forward transaxle mounts have an extra plate tack welded to them. Raises the mount 4-5mm.

Look here http://www.pbase.com/image/46957227/original.jpg. (left side shown, right also has the 'extra' plate).

Any idea why? They came from IAP. I shall contact them as well.

Is this a mod, the wrong part or do I grind the welds off and remove the plate?

Oh, and the reason I had a problem fitting the new rear mount? The outer sleeve was still there. Embarrassed? Yes.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
www.motozane.com
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Jef those extra plates are for mounting on the Milano.If your using them on a GTV6 you need to remove them by grinding/cutting them off otherwise you'll mess up your driveshaft allignment.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

Seems like you solved this issue - but here is a pic of how I removed mine a few years ago...

http://alfagtv6.com/transaxl.htm

I also had to remove the plate under the new front GB mounts - I had though that the plates were just for Milanos and perhaps later model GTV6 cars.

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Michael,

That is exactly how SamW and I did the mount on my car. We gave our new tool a number, just like A-R did.

Dave
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

:D nice.
I frequently raid the plumbing dept. at Home Depot for various diameters and lengths of pipe. Those (in combination with a large socket set) and a threaded rod allow one to press out a good variety of Alfa bushings and bearings.
Still, I have found one of these irreplaceable in working on my Alfa ...
... used everywhere except where there is not room to get the part under the press (in which case, the pipe and threaded rod work fine :))

Cheers,
Michael
1981 GTV6
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I too, raided Home Depot and with a socket form Sears made the perfect tool, very similar to Michael's.

Time to get the grinder out.
Jef
www.motozane.com
Don
Silver
Silver

Post by Don »

The last one I did, I put the mount in the freezer for a while and it slid right in.
Kunta
Silver
Silver

Post by Kunta »

I manufactured a tool for removing de-dion bushing and rear gearbox mount. I can also use it for inserting new ones.
Attachments
imgp1932.sized.jpg
imgp1932.sized.jpg (79.16 KiB) Viewed 11669 times
IMGP1982.sized.jpg
IMGP1982.sized.jpg (88.42 KiB) Viewed 11669 times
Kenth Wiklund
75 3.0 Challenge
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I just used a couple of large sockets and some left over exhaust pipe, took me about 30 minutes. :)

oh, I used a press naturally.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
mikecudahy
Silver
Silver

Post by mikecudahy »

For what it's worth, I've found these rear transaxle mounts to be excessively flimsy even when new. I reinforce them with an elastomer polyurethane, (big name for rubbery stuff). The modification is very effective. It's simple to do, really. The hard part is obtaining the material. It's easy for me, because my business always has this material in stock, and we're used to the material's processing characteristics. If anyone wants one of these, just send me a mount and I'll modify it for you.
Mike Cudahy Serpent Motorsports
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Anybody ever replace the rear transaxle bush in place? Can it be done....

Tom
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

I think it can ,
I just drilled the damn rubber thats surrounds it's metal sleeve and then used a screwdriver +light hammer to tear the outer plastic shell of the GB ring.
To fit the new one though you would need some kind of tool like the guyz made.
After fighting with the de dion tube yesterday for 5 hours trying to fita poly piece when axle still on car I had come to the conclusion that it would better be done when whole assembly out of the car completely. (good time to get those rear bushings replaced by uniballs/poly ones...:)
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
gtv11636
Gold
Gold

Post by gtv11636 »

Chen
I think Tom was tallking about the rear Transaxle Bushing - the rear Gearbox mount, not the de dion bushing that you replaced :wink:
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

T, yes I know,
I was talking about the upper rear Gearbox mount, i drilled it out just like I did the watt links ones and all other bushings , easiest way if you have no use for the OEM old ones.

I've just mentioned the de dion front axle bushing since it's a good oppertunity to get it replaced if gearbox is off along with the GB mount....
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.