powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Clutch Master Cylinder

Post by powderhoundcd »

I think I have a problem with my clutch master cylinder and I want to check with everyone to make sure my guess is correct before I go out and buy a new one/try to rebuild it.

I just put my transaxle back under the car after about 2 months in my shop. I reconnected the clutch slave and bled the system (bleed nipple up). When I go to press on the clutch pedal normally, it feels like it should. The clutch disengages and I can put the car in gear when it's idling, no problem. However, if I just lightly push down on the clutch pedal, it sinks to the floor and doesn't disengague the clutch.

I can't find any fluid leaks (I checked inside the boot at the slave cylinder and at the boot in the cabin) so I'm guessing that fluid is leaking past the piston in the MC. Does this sound right?

Thanks!

Carson
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

I'd say your guess is right. The MC or actually the rubber seals are either shot or mounted wrong way (you cannot believe how often I've seen this).

I had exactly the same problem with my brakes once. New seals and they are still working.
powderhoundcd
Gold
Gold

Post by powderhoundcd »

Thanks Micke, sounds like I'll be pulling that system tomorrow too when I pull my rear brakes to fix a leak.
Carson James Darling
83 GTV-6 2.5L (in progress)
Support a poor highschooler's addiction!