Mats
Verde
Verde

CV-joint checkup/overhaul

Post by Mats »

Decided to check my driveshafts/cv joints after finding a really bad one last year mid season. The exhaust had broken loose and hanged down on the boot melting it -> failed CV joint. At the time the quick fix was to replace the whole driveshaft. The boot failed on that one too on the last race and I noticed a pinhole leak in the inner one on the other side as well. Decided to take the time to overhaul all the joint and repack them with new grease.

Turns out they were all fine except the inner one on the side I didn't change. It felt fine but as soon as I got all the grease out it felt very "rattly", the ball separator was very loose and upon closer inspection the balls were very pitted and worn.

Pretty bad shape as you can see. Felt no play at all when before I cleaned all the old grease out as I said. :shock:

The "new" one, used of course but in much better shape. :)

Leaving nothing to chance now, all the wheel bearings are being changed too. New brake disks too. 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
zambon
Verde
Verde

Post by zambon »

My current ride has one that is so bad that I can actually feel the play. That thing sure was a great aquisition...