hjulen
Silver
Silver

Just a a '84, now have some questions

Post by hjulen »

Hey guys!

I just picked up my grey GTV6 '84 and have some questions about the gear shift linkage. This is my first GTV6, but I noticed that the shifter seemly really sloppy. I have heard of upgrades that can be done to the shift mechanism, but what exactly is involved in doing them? Is the "Sure shift" sold by one of the venders worth the cost?

Thanks,
James
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Copy what MD has done :) I've played around with his shifter and it feels great! (And damn did I have to be careful with my words just then!)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

James the first step is to determine which type of shift mechanism you have because I believe that 84 was a transition year from the early "simple" design shown below to the isostatic design.If you have the later design I would highly recommend a rebuild of the linkage and replacement of the bolt that attaches the shift rod to the shaft.These steps can greatly improve shifter feel and precision.If you are in North America get in touch with of Andy at Performatek as I believe he carries rebuild kits and is very helpfull.

http://www.performatek.com/frOnlineCatalog.htm[/url]
Attachments
ISOSTATIC.jpg
ISOSTATIC.jpg (28.65 KiB) Viewed 4277 times
EARLIERLINK.jpg
EARLIERLINK.jpg (17.08 KiB) Viewed 4281 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
hjulen
Silver
Silver

Post by hjulen »

Thanks for the replies.

The build date of the car was 9/84 I believe which makes it a late '84, I will check and see which style linkage it has.

I know there are rebuild kits for the iso style linkage...but assuming I have the older style linkage, is there somewhere that details step by step to rebuild/improve them? I am mechanically inclined but get nervous about doing things unless i know EXACTLY what I need to do.