x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

MALDI:

I did the math and you only lightened 5 gears according to your post...did you lighten the ones with the most mass on the lay shaft and diven shaft..or five on the driveshaft?

Where did you get them lightened?

Thanks..
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

ALL gears spin at ALL times when the clutch is engaged or the rear wheels spin.

Just to clarify. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

The work was done by Performatek:

http://www.performatek.com/Alfa/Drive%2 ... dedion.htm

My local shop did the assembly/disassembly including the new synchros. I sent just the main shaft gears to Andy for lightening. I also bought a used known-good 2nd gear dog ring from Andy because mine (though useable) had odd wear patterns on the teeth. Also, new sliders were put in. I figured while everything else was being done...

The gears looked exactly like the before and after pictures on the Performatek web site. The holes in the higher gears were proportionally smaller than the lower gears hence less mass was reduced from them. Also, the higher gears were not undercut.

I used the Shell Spirax 80W/90HD Extreme Pressure gear oil sold by IAP because it is what originally came with the car (assuming no changes in formulation over the last 25 years!)

The shifts are faster and the shifting is smoother. However, I do still have to drive for about 15 minutes to warm up the 'box. So in the first 15 minutes I double clutch and shift slowly. Also, when cold the box will make its little complaining noises (not grinding, if you have one you know what I mean) which I happen to like, it gives the car character!
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9