mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Direction indicator relay

Post by mjr »

, today my indicators stopped working, they work ok on the hazard switch, but I suspect that the indicator relay is dead, the manual is crap for identifying which one it is. where is the indicator relay? euro 83.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Here you go mjr, it's the one just behind the fuses("JEZPOL" :wink: ). Mind though it's a 84 euro gtv6
Attachments
ABCD0006.JPG
ABCD0006.JPG (167.42 KiB) Viewed 5486 times
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

ah great, thsnks. no wonder i couldnt find the damn thing, its pretty well hidden. 83-84 should be the same I think. Im hoping its just the contacts pitted out.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

i think the Spider relay works as well (at least in the 85)
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

well found it on the 83, same place as above but its the cylindrical type. Im not so sure now that its the relay at all, since the hazard and indicator function share the same relay in the fuse box. indicators are dead, but the hazard warning switch works just fine. is there a seperate coil for the indicators than the hazards inside this relay? The wiring diagrams are just a pain in the butt to try and follow, they really are awful, you need a damned magnifing glass and 8 pair of eyes! how exactly does the indicator function work ?. anyone?
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

no one knows how the circuit works? :shock:
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

at least for the 84 and 85 model year this is how the wiring is. not sure for your year....

Basically, when you flip the turn signal arm up or down you are completeing the end of two circuits...

power comes from fuse block to left right flasher relay (all the way on right , middle row of fuse block)

Once you select left or right, you close the heating resistor circuit in the flasher which causes it to 'click' on and off(in other words, the clicking is the second higher power circuit which actually runs the lights)

power then flows to a connector near the fuse block (don't know what it loos like but it should only connect two wires. this should be checked with a power meter) because power leaves this connector through BLACK W/WHITE wire)....

....and then flows up to the steering column into the selected left or right circuit and then out to the lights. If you have power at the connector, then the problem is steering column switch or something....OR it could be the flasher relay energising circuit....OR if your model has different wiring, it could be a separate relay (check the one all the way on right in the middle row of the fuse block...replace with another (top row relays, middle row relays, bottom rows little fuses))

there should be two common lines out to the lights from the steering column...meaning that left side turn signal front and rear should have the same color wire(BLUE W/BLACK) and the same for the right side(BLUE).

The emergency 4 way flasher is a different circuit but could use the same relay..basically energizing left and right at the same time with the dash mounted flasher switch..OR it could use a separate relay..I don't know about your year..
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

X rad, thanks, that clears things up, I just couldnt work out what the heck was going on at the steering wheel with the crappy alfa manual diagrams. they place the lines so close together all in the same colour, black. Whom ever in the drawing office came up with these diagrams should have been shot! :o I can now see that the hazard is independant of the turn signal selector, it just energises the heating resistor circuit via the hazard switch, then directly to the left and right light looms. hence I think my problem must lie in the steering column.

damn on 9 years of owning this 83, and its the first electrical problem its ever given me. apart from a wobbly speedo sender, its been bullet proof.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

...good luck