Post by Andrew.b »

Me too!!
Andrew b
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

Brian wrote:Peter,

Oh... you mean ALFA era like in the twenties right? (grin)

-or-

Just when did they STOP being Alfas...? I seem to recall the same comments from 105/115 owners about those 116 cars.

Come on man... at least drive one before writting them off!

I would put an Autodelta 156 3.7 GTA in my garage anyday...

-Brian
Agreed on the 156GTA. That's a different animal.

One day I'll get over to Europe to drive a new Alfa. From a pure business standpoint, the 147 would kick Volkswagen ass in the US market. So would the 156. Certainly put a dent into BMW and Audi too.

They're missing the boat big time by not selling here. The decisions coming out of Fiat these days doesn't build confidence in them as a company, and (a leap in logic here) doesn't instill confidence in their product either. Just my $.02 (what is that in Euros anyway?).

-Peter
The true joy of an Alfa Romeo is behind the wheel.
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

For what it is worth Peter... the 156 has it's flaws too. Squeeky dash and ill-fitting boot latch just to name two; perhaps FIAT/Alfa have kept some of the... refinements? lol

I choose to look on the bright side... look who is the chairman at FIAT now... at least this guy knows a thing or two about sports cars and their place in the world.

Maybe we put together a group letter and send it to our man Luca?

Caro Signor Montezemolo,

Porta prego il Alfa Romeo di nuovo al unisce le condizioni.

Il vostro humbly il gruppo di gtv6.com

-Brian
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

It's my humble prediction that Fiat will die out from under Alfa for financial reasons and Alfa will be brought under the Ferrari/Maserati umbrella. Poor Lancia will suffer and perish though.

I was watching the Geneva Auto Show coverage on Speed the other day. The FIAT group cars were all together with Fiat being billed as appliance transportation, Alfa as the sports cars and Lancia as the luxury line.

Some interesting comments from the hosts. They said the 166 would be the flagship back into the US market if they return. Personally, I think they'd do better with the smaller cars like the 156 to compete with the Audi A4 and Nissan Maxima and the 147 to compete in the hot-hatch segement with the VW Golf and Civic.

I'm not convinced Fiat willl survive fianacially over the next 2-3 years so the issue may be completely different 2 years from now.

-Peter
pancho
Gold
Gold

Post by pancho »

P.Webb wrote:It's my humble prediction that Fiat will die out from under Alfa for financial reasons and Alfa will be brought under the Ferrari/Maserati umbrella. Poor Lancia will suffer and perish though.

I was watching the Geneva Auto Show coverage on Speed the other day. The FIAT group cars were all together with Fiat being billed as appliance transportation, Alfa as the sports cars and Lancia as the luxury line.

Some interesting comments from the hosts. They said the 166 would be the flagship back into the US market if they return. Personally, I think they'd do better with the smaller cars like the 156 to compete with the Audi A4 and Nissan Maxima and the 147 to compete in the hot-hatch segement with the VW Golf and Civic.

I'm not convinced Fiat willl survive fianacially over the next 2-3 years so the issue may be completely different 2 years from now.

-Peter
Peter,

"156 to compete with the Audi A4 "

For Alfa to compete with Audi on any level is absurd. Although I love them , Alfas are nowhere near the ballpark of the quality of an Audi. Engineering and passion maybe but not quality.
Yes I too beleive alfa will not last too long as the FWD saga continues to grow, even with the GTA, the age old argument of FWD with big power is just not realistic unless its a purpose built drag car. FWD GTA in the wet is just a bit too much power for my liking.
I see way to many LA'TE sipping wankers driving alfas here in Australia and that is the market alfa is catering for now, not the enthusiasts it once loved.
PanchoRama

From the great master Del Compo "so, wat you wan doin?"

High Five. Sexy Time. You Lose
P.Webb
Gold
Gold

Post by P.Webb »

I hear the Fialfas are lacking in quality. The Selespeeds are breaking down constantly.

In the US market, Audi were embroiled in an unintended acceleration lawsuit in which people claimed wrongful death. A few transmissions can't be as hard as that to overcome. Yet Audi are now a big seller here.

Jaguar had the same reputation as Alfa for reliabilty and although they emerged as a rebodied Ford, they have managed to reinvent their image too.

It escapes me why Alfa couldn't make the US market work.

-Peter