Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

intake runners

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

by the way ,two thoughts running through my mind reading this thread...
any intake runners kit for the turbo converted? i mean-
I have 101.6 bores and bigger inlet valves fitted on my mottor , but I still have the 164S intake runners , there is a dispute on a turbocharged 6cyl engines intake runners , some say too big has negative aspects , but I do see large numbers as 48-51 indiam on modified Toyotas and Nissans 6| ,
Will I get any gains if I upgrade to 45-50mm runners ?
secondly , is there apoint in designing two separate intake plenums one for each side with two throttles for a TT?
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hi Chen

I don't think it will make any difference when under boost. I think you should pay more attension to the size of the turbo downpipe diameter, you want as little backpressure there as possible.

I personally think the smaller runners with keep the response crisp when off boost and with small throttle openings.

I have the same size runners also..... and the car still scares the sh*t out of me if I have not driven it for a while!!

Working on a video clip!
Andrew b
Giulietta24vTT
Gold
Gold

Post by Giulietta24vTT »

Andrew.b wrote:Hi Chen

I don't think it will make any difference when under boost. I think you should pay more attension to the size of the turbo downpipe diameter, you want as little backpressure there as possible.

I personally think the smaller runners with keep the response crisp when off boost and with small throttle openings.

I have the same size runners also..... and the car still scares the sh*t out of me if I have not driven it for a while!!

Working on a video clip!
It scares me too sometimes ,I used to ride with rear slicks few month ago and even after warm-up the rear sometimes slided 30-45* when accelarating ,even on 4th! .
The thing with the runners is that they may be limiting the flow capacity on high revs + boost ,I did encounter a limited manifold back in the days I had a modified 2.0 16V turbo lancia transplant , when the intake plenum and the runners were stranglling the engine above 7.5K.
Reagrding the Donwpipe\s , I have two 2.5 inch downpipes all the way to the middle-under, where I had them Y connected into a 3" pipe that hardly passes between the right de-dion watt link and rear axle. The funny thing is I was very worried of MOT's and local city road emmisions tests , so i fitted a 3-2.75 rear silencer from a big American truck , which does wonders in quietening the car like a new Volvo , but shaggs the power band to around 6K! .
I then removed it (it is a bolt on)and the engine pulled like a rocket to the 8K rev limmiter's area with tons of torque till the cut out !|
The nicest thing about this engine is that its a short stroker thus revving very freely, i suppose the geanius good old SA folks knew what they were doing there...:)
Chen S
ex Giulietta 24V Glenwood TT.
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Hey Chen

Can you mail me some pictures of the car? do you have any video also??
Andrew b
Andrew.b
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Andrew.b »

Whats happening with the 3.7 engine install??? It's gone a bit quiet?

Any news?

anyone....
Andrew b
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Updates....

Post by junglejustice »

I have been posting over at the alfabb some (on our last weekend in Seattle), stripping the cars down etc....

- With all of the feathers flying over ol' Greg's SC kit, I figured that I would stay low for a bit... Don't need that action right now.

Also, I am in SA with limited web access....

Jes is coming up again on 2/24 to install engines....

We'll come back over here again eventually....
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Engine In!

Post by junglejustice »

First 3.7 dropped in like it came out of that bay to begin with...!
(Dawie did a great job estimating clearances...) given that 75/Milanos never made it to SA (although Dawie did have a Verde many moons ago) and although the engine bays of the GTV6 and Milanos are technically the same, there are subtle differences. (Dawie tests in GTV6s...) In spite of those differences, things are progressing well!

Jes and I have the two transaxles re-assembled. Not too many nuts and bolts left over... Ha-ha..

2.2 Spica manual racks did not show up in time, but they're on the way - no prob! At least we won't have to try and hook up hydraulic hoses with the engines already in there, so their install should go fine...

There are some issues with the RSRacing stuff - no bushings for the shocks (bump-stops at the top for the fronts and bushings for the rears) - what to use? - Nothing included, the new rear DeDion bushing has the wrong size retainer clip and the front DeDion bushing does not look like it will go back in the DeDion tube hole (even with a press...), without damaging it... Dunno. Anybody else here do one recently?

Waiting to call Ron and ask some questions...
GTV6GPTT
Gold
Gold

Post by GTV6GPTT »

all intake and exhaust sizes count.

but under boost intake side not so much.

but some people say every n\a mod that gives say: 10hp will give 20hp with boost.

its one thing to push 10psi of boost in, but another to push diffrent volumes of 10psi threw.

think of it like this

garden hose with 5psi water presure
fire hose with 5psi water presure

which will flow more water per min.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Lets not hijack JJ's post, I think he has a record for longest running post without a changing topic. I would love to respond to your statements somewhere else. Finally someone who understands that not all pounds of boost are equal. It's all about how many air molecules we can shove in!
Romeo
Silver
Silver

Intake runners

Post by Romeo »

Romeo, if you are asking about the 6 ITBs from Glenwood, then yes, that is a setup for the 24 Valve engines and they do fit them well,,,

You can use stock injectors, but since this is mainly a setup for larger bore engines, consider the larger intake runners and modified 50mm GTV6/Milano/75 intake manifold... Depends - what other engine mods do you have now/planning in the future?

As for the Motronic - probably not - you dump the AFM with this conversion (and why not - very restrictive), so you need to go to a stand-alone system or some variant, running MAP or other....
@junglejustice,

I plan to fit a 3.0 24v engine into an Alfa 156 2.5 (and dream about fitting that 3.0 V6 into a Lancia Lybra, but that is something else).
So, the height is rather limmited under the bonnet. The intakeplenum and runners from a 166 will be used. That is where the engine should come from, too. Emisions, you know. The Motronic will have to stay aswell. It has to be street legal.

Cordiali saluti,

Mario

P.s. Barry, lijkt het Nederlands voldoende op het Zuid-Afrikaans dat je het kan lezen?
Alfa Romeo is part of my family, or am I a member of the Alfa Romeo family???
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yep! Ek kan dit ook lezen...

But it's gonna suck from here on out - How about you Barry?

Ons kan dalk Afrikaans praat en die ou sal verstaan! ha-ha...
Romeo
Silver
Silver

ITB in 156?

Post by Romeo »

Ik heb een aantal tijdschriften Wiel, uit Zuid-Afrika en kan die best goed lezen. Erg leuk en baaie goed! Vooral spoedvaartstrik (ned: snelheidscontrole) heb ik onthouden!

For the other people: We (Dutch and South-Afrikan) can understand oneanother quite well.
Back to the question: does that nice piece of intake, the 6 ITB’s, fit a 156/166/164 engine/intake?

Mario Karsijns
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yes, the 6 ITB-butterfly setup can be used on your motor however, the actual plenums have to be re-made to fit...

What exact car will you be using?

Dawie just uses the 164/156/147/166 style plenums with Q / GTA runners...

Email me at john@reginaceleste.com and we can take this off-line if you are interested. I am headed down in 3 weeks again to SA...
Romeo
Silver
Silver

Post by Romeo »

I plan to fit a 3 litre Alfa 166 engine into an Alfa 156 SW (with stock 2.5).
I need to use the original plenum and the original Motronic ME 3.1 system. A similar drive-by-wire throttel-engine has to be used too.

Mario
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mario,

Are you planning on selling the 2.5 24V? Interested in putting that in my 155 V6.