MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

164 S spec cams

Post by MR2 Zig »

Were the cams in the US 164S 12v cars the same as what was sold in other parts of the world?

If so, do some of you South African, Austrailian, or others have a set that I could get from you. I do have a contact with a South African software co. that might be able to get them to me.

The cams would be going into the 3.0 that I'm putting together for my GTV6.

Thanks,
Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

if you can't get them from SA, Centerline sells them....
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

x-rad,

Thank you.

I was hoping not to have to pay Centerline or IAP kind of money. Course i dunno if that's the best way to go either.......just me being cheap, but i only have about 2500 to build this thing and I want to go as far as I can on that money while being smog legal. Otherwise I'd be getting one of Greg's superchargers and aftermarket injection and and and......

Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

2500......you might just make it with no major repairs

gaskets:250
cams: 540 (for both at centerline)
new s pistons + sleeves (come w/rings): 745
bearings(assuming no major crank wear): 200
belts:55
injector cleaning (or rebuilt):100-240
hoses:15
cap n rotor:40
oil n antifreeze:50
oil filter (Fram ph8a): 7
thermostat: 40
rad hoses:100

total: ~2582 dollars (or chips if you live in Vegas) + extras like cleaning fluid, rags, tools....and good labor(priceless)
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

I'm in trouble already then.....I will be adding a few things

water pump
valve guides
lifters
valves
valve job

hey....while I'm at it......stock 3.0 valves are 45mm correct? Is there a larger alternative?

Scott
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

stock 3.0 valves:

intake: 43.8-44mm

ex: 38.5-38.7

stem: intake: 8.97-8.987
ex: 8.94-8.95

you might be able to find some american valves and guides to fit for much less than the ALFA valves

I found that what is important with stock valves is how wide the seat radius is. Generally, i have seen these ground too wide.

and the valves (stock) usually need back cutting

remember: if you go with C+B cams, you need to sink the intake guides just a little deeper so the seals don't get smashed....S cams will fit fine with no extra work
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Thanks x-rad.

I was going to go with the 164S cams because of the smog problem here. The S cams will pass without a fuss where the C&B will only if everything is absolutly perfect. I do wish I could go to a hotter cam, but I can't on this as I drive the car daily and I don't have the time energy or inclination to change out major parts for the smog check.

scott
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

i have a set of re-ground s cams that i have used for what would be no-more then 5000kms. they are reground standard cam shafts from benincas that are ground to s cam specifications. i ran them in my n/a setup and briefly in my turbo setup and they are perfect for what you decribe.i am now going a different way so have them lying around.private message me if you are interested.cheers.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie