Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

info on mazda lysholm supercharger??

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Hello,

is there anyone who can tell me more about the Lysholm style supercharger as used on mazda's 2.3 v6 engine in the Xedos? It's manufactured bij IHI. I need to know how much air it moves in 1 rotation and how much revs it can handle... 8)

I have bought one criminally cheap and am wondering if it fits better on a TS engine or on a 3.0 Motronic.. :wink:
Drive it like you stole it...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I think it puts out about 1200cc per revolution per min. It's very close to that although I don't remember the exact number. I know some people are spinning them up near 20,000 rpm with the used of special bearings. The factory redline is probably 14,000-16,000 rpm.

It could be used on either a twin spark or a 3.0 although it's kind of a tough supercharger to use in a conversion because of the way it's constructed. That's why they are dirt cheap.

Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

what constitutes as "dirt" cheap
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

You can get them for around $200. That's about what any worn out oem unit from the mid 90's sells for. However the cost of the whole package isn't quite that good. They have some metal gaskets that will be very tough to get and the fabrication required for installation will be pretty complex.
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

Getting it installed is a real pain-in-the-***-job, i saw that immediately.. :oops: The thing is very long..

Greg, do you know if it is a self-lubricating design as for example an Eaton? reason i ask is that there seems to be an oil connection on the charger :? Never saw this on the Eaton M45 i had before.

Some guy on the dutch alfa forum told me i had to use an electromagnetic type of pulley because of the parassitic losses on these kind of compressor, i thought it would be sufficient to use a bypass valve. Do you have any idea on this?

Since the screw type compressor is at its best at higher boostlevels i'm thinking about placing it on a TS engine with lower comp. If i remember correctly i can use BMW pistons for hte lowering of the comp.

Will take a few pictures of the compressor and the engine.
Drive it like you stole it...
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Giuliettaevo2,

It's very long but you may be able to machine off a lot of stuff at the back. I never really looked into that but it may be possible. I don't think the compressor section itself is very long.

It's not self lubricating. IHI figured if turbos need engine oil under pressure then superchargers should to.

The guy on the dutch Alfa forum is sort of correct. All lysholm designs compress air internally. A bypass valve can not unload it fully. The valve will prevent boost from reaching the engine but you will still be paying a penatly in fuel economy for creating boost and dumping it overboard. You will also heat the intercooler up in normal driving. Now....with all that said, an electronic clutch is a pain to deal with. I would probably not use it and just accept the fuel economy penalty and use an intercooler big enough to handle it.

I don't know anything about twin spark motors. However the basic information I have here is that you will need to be going for at least 15 pounds of boost for that supercharger to be worthwhile on a 2 liter.
Greg Gordon,
www.hiperformancestore.com
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

I agree, I have a ford thunderbird with a 3.8L v6 supercharged that makes about 13 PSI it weighs 3600 lbs roughly, and the SC is peppy, but it realy needs about 5 more PSI and definately a bigger intercooler
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Everyone with forced induction thinks they need more boost and more intercooling!
5yearplan
Gold
Gold

Post by 5yearplan »

haha, you said it! :twisted: