Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

GTV6 vs Supercharged Cobalt DRAG RACE VIDEO

Post by Greg Gordon »

Drag Race at wc raceway.

In this corner, my GTV6. MP62X supercharger set at 10 psi, L-JETRONIC, STAGE 2 INJECTORS, L-JETRONIC FUEL CONTROL unit, and Water Methanol injection with a 75/25 water/meth mix and injected at a .5:1 water fuel ratio. This car has the 3.42 transaxle. It also has my loud side exiting exhaust. The engine itself is stock from the throttle body to the intact converter.

In the other corner. Chevrolet Cobalt SS Supercharged. This car has everything modern, 4 valves per cylinder, intercooler, modern injection with no air flow meter, Pirelli P Zeros on 18 inch rims. It's engine is made by Saab and is set up with 12 pounds of boost. This one also has a performance exhaust, intake with ram air scoop, B+M shifter, WR engine dampener and various other mods. It's been dynoed at 226 horsepower at the wheels. Oh, and it has a 4.05 final drive gear with very good positraction. Even in stock form the supercharged Cobalt is one of the fastest sport compact cars you can buy. The Cobalt did carry the extra weight of the cameraman.

The GTV6 used an aggresive starting technique with a clutch drop at about 2000 rpm.

(edited, I realized I put the wrong water/meth mix when I wrote this originally. I run 25% methanol as it's super cheap that way.)

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/ ... agrace.flv
Last edited by Greg Gordon on Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:12 am, edited 3 times in total.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Wow Greg, that looked good.
What kind of wheel hp is your GTV6 getting ?
Was the cobalt trying ? I know nothing about them at all other than what is in the NFS most wanted game.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi Daniel,
Yes, the Cobalt was trying very hard. I have not dynoed my GTV6 since the latest changes but I am pretty sure it puts out about 220rwhp.

The Cobalt SS Supercharged is one of the fastest sport compacts you can buy. Only the EVO, STI and Mazda Speed 3 are faster (not sure about the Mazda).
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

YAY!!
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

Well, that makes it even more impressive and better still if your car is about standard weight.
Actually, it gives me some hope for mine when it's finished - maybe not as much hp as yours but lightened by a few kg and a 4.1 final drive. I kinda hope I can compete with a mate's EVO9 but it's a big ask.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

In theory the SuperRedVerde smoke the Chevy right?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Daniel, My GTV6 is standard weight. It has a full interior with power windows, all original glass, steel body panels etc. The only thing taken out is the airconditioning compressor. Beating an EVO VIII ( I never even heard of a EVO9, do we have those now? ) is a very tall order. Of course with less weight and more power....

Zamani, based on the little driving we have done with SuperRedVerde, I would say it will easily smoke either my GTV6 or the Cobalt.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

He got beaten, even with all that carbon fibre in the dash?? :shock: :lol:

Looks like that GTV6 is pretty quick. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Mats,
My GTV6 is pretty quick, and like most cars on this site it's constantly evolving. I do feel it's at an optimal point from a stock motor and budget perspective. I tried raising the boost to 12 psi but even with every tool in my bag of tricks I couldn't get L-Jet to work well with that much boost. The next step will have to involve intercooling and or modern engine managment.

The owner of the Cobalt (who is a very cool guy) would tell you that the dash is Carbon fiber AND kevlar.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Nice, a bulletproof dash. Just what I need. :wink:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Greg Gordon wrote:and or modern engine managment.
:shock:

Sorry Greg, I couldn't help it. :wink:

Great video, thanks for posting.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Greg: What type of tires are you running...I noticed some second gear smoke...
fedezyl
Verde
Verde

Post by fedezyl »

very nice greg! loved the sound and the SC, just loud enough to be liked!! heheh :D
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Hi x-rad,
I am running 225/50-15 Kuhmos on stock GTV6 rims. I forgot what type they are, but they are normal street tires.

I went back to look at the burnout tracks. The GTV6 left about 100 feet of rubber on launch and about 25 feet at the second gear shift. Although it doesn't have limited slip it did burn rubber off both tires for about the first 70 feet. Pretty cool.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Greg,

When are you going to install an aftermarket efi? Have you thought about map-ecu? It just replaces the AFM. Basicallly it modifies the signal from an air measuring device (like your AFM) and sends the modified signal to the ecu. might be worth looking into.