Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Quiet Supercharger Video for Jes and Zamani.

Post by Greg Gordon »

The purpose of this video is to record the in car noise of my supercharged GTV6 in cruise at 55mph. The windows are up and about the only noise you can hear is the tire's road noise and the side exiting exhaust. I am talking at a normal conversational level. Of course at full power it's quite a bit louder.

Sorry for the poor quality. This is the first time we used this camera at night.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/ ... harger.flv
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Here is the loud supercharger video for everyone else. The same car a the previous video. It's a full throttle blast from 0-70mph complete with audible axle hop at the start. It's a 3.42 gear car so it hits about 75 mph in second at about 6600 rpm.

I timed it in the video, it hits 60mph in about 6.3 seconds. Pretty good considering all the wheel hop, two large adults aboard and 3.42 gears.

Again, sorry for the poor quality.

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/ ... I_0297.flv
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I could live with that!! No problemo!!!!!!!! :D :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Wow Greg that's great. gets me excited about my setup. I'm gonna go and work on it now :)
patzo_3l
Platinum
Platinum

Post by patzo_3l »

:lol: very nice there. especially love the yankee accent.
patzo_3l

3l gtv6 turbo 85'
2006 147 gta selespeed
1990 75 twinspark
1998 spider
2.0l gtv 85'
33 1.7ie
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks guys,

A lot of people ask about noise (especially Jes and Zamani). Yes, superchargers make noise, so do engines. Both can be made fairly quiet if that's what you want. Like personal preferences with exhaust, some people don't want their supercharger to be quiet. It's all so subjective I can't really say what's the right amount of noise.

My daily driver in the video is set up without much regard to noise control. It does have insulation under most of the hood. It also has insulation on the intake pipe and a cold air box around the filter. This works out pretty well for my personal needs. In cruise on the highway it's barely noticeable and with the radio on you don't hear it at all. When I drive aggresively I can hear it, so can everyone else nearby.

Some people go a lot farther to reduce noise. The Greg Armstrong car has what appears to be a muffler on the intake side! I looked at a very exotic Ford Mustang 4.6 kit recently (this kit is not yet on the market, I was privleged to see it) and it had a muffler on the discharge side. The designer of the kit found that Ford's plastic intake manifold makes a lot of noise when the supercharer blows into it. The type of belt used, the supercharger speed, position of the throttle body and general layout of the supercharger kit all effect the noise level.

I hope that explanation and these videos help explain the noise issue.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Nice Greg! I did not even find the 0-70 having a lot of whine. I have previously heard a gtv (105) with a magnusson, and that thing would whine quite loudly. Your GTV6 sounds great. If any of your SC cars make their way to SoCal again let me know - would love to see them in person.

BTW, I saw your favorite model Milano (89 gold) for sale in Tulsa, TULSA, it has your name written all over it :wink:

Jes
Last edited by ar4me on Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Wow the 2nd video at WOT was NICE! 0-60 in about 6 ish?

Somehow when I rode in your dad's car the whine seemed a lot louder.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Thanks Zamani,
My dad's car was louder. When you rode in it that was the very first production set up. This kit has had a lot of improvements since then. Two things that made it loud were the lack of a secondary bypass valve and the lack of a cold air box enclosing the air filter.

0-60 times are influenced by so many factors it's tough to get a good number without abusing the car over and over on the right road, at the right temperature etc. I think it's probably an honest 6.5ish. It will beat a stock WRX or RX8 and has done it a few times. It has also beaten a 350Z in a high speed battle from about 70-110. However the Z may have been an automatic. It won't beat a Cobalt SS supercharged from a light due to the Cobalt's gearing and grip. Of course a STI or EVOVIII should clobber it but I never see those around here.

We did a little test drive in the SuperRedVerde yesterday. It's in a whole different league and makes my car and SuperVerde seem slow. I guess there is something to that intercooling and engine managment stuff.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Greg Gordon wrote: I guess there is something to that intercooling and engine managment stuff.
Hahaha, understatement of the year?

Welcome to the light side? Out of the dark ages? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Mats, check the next video in the new thread.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I will, when I'm not behind a firewall that's not sealed up like a dolphins ass (watertight). :lol:
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
jol
Silver
Silver

Post by jol »

Mats wrote:I will, when I'm not behind a firewall that's not sealed up like a dolphins ass (watertight). :lol:
This is the second time I read about watertight asses here. Do you, owners of other type asses, all wear diapers? :lol: :wink:
The milano very sold, some day some other Alfa...
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

:shock:

I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. I want it. :D
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Please watch the drag race video another thread. That's the one that tells the real story.