Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
wlangley
Silver
Silver

Roll cage main hoop bracing

Post by wlangley »

Howdy from Texas! I am building an Alfetta Sedan for SCCA ITB, and am deciding where to attach the rear braces for the main hoop. Most pictures I see here seem to have the rear braces attaching to the tops of the rear wheel arches. However, seems like a good place will be through the rear bulkhead attaching to the tops of the rear spring perches. A mounting "shelf" will have to be made to make that happen.

As I read the ITB rules, this is OK, and there aren't alot of Alfetta Sedans to look at around here for ideas.

Anyone know of a reason why this would not be a good idea?

thanks,
wm.
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Roll cage main hoop bracing

Post by MD »

I think this is what you are talking about perhaps?
Attachments
Rear Spring and Damper Bracing.jpg
Rear Spring and Damper Bracing.jpg (178.37 KiB) Viewed 3466 times
Rear Damper Tower Detail.jpg
Rear Damper Tower Detail.jpg (175.53 KiB) Viewed 3467 times
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
wlangley
Silver
Silver

Post by wlangley »

Wow. That looks like some radical surgery. I was thinking of attaching the rear brace to the trunk floor to where the springs are just below. Your triangular bracing in the trunk area is bracing to basically the same place. I did a mock up with PVC, but didn't take any pics, and the trunk is full of parts at the moment. I need to take a pic to better illustrate. I'll do that and repost. Your method is giving me some ideas, though. SCCA limits the roll cage mounting plates to 100 sq inches, which is alot, but that has to be factored into the decision.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The inner guard by itself is too flexible a location but the shock tower is stiffer. However all the metal is too light so it needs platting for a location. Tying the spring base and tower together solves the problem.
The small triangulaton to the boot floor is to pick up the differential rear mounting point and keep the shock towers spread at the same time.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse