Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
Frost
Silver
Silver

Newbie racecar build advice

Post by Frost »

Hi Guys I have just purchased a 1979 alfetta sedan(short nose) which I will be using in our(south african) alfa trofeo racing series,its an open series so no real specific rules other than compulsory safety stuff like rollcage,harness race seat extinguisher,tow points etc.

as a background the car is still street regestired and is in good shape asside from rust bubbles showing on bottom of rear doors and on top of c pillars and has had a major engine(2000cc street motor) overhaul and propshaft and gearbox redone,so here are my queries:

1 I want to fit a full rolcage before the rust repair,does anyone have a roll cage design for this car or know if they were ever raced anywhere in the world where i can source a picture or any usefull help?

2 how do u drop the ride hieght and stiffen the suspension on these(never had a car with a dedion rear and torsion bar front???)Any suspension tricks of the trade etc.

3 is there any info on tried and tested engine/gearbox cooling designs eg oil cooler,bigger radiator etc. for racing purposes(ps its a 2000 twin over head cam motor still standard spec)

4 what brake upgrade would be advisable(I have heard that GTV6 front callipers fit perfectly and are a big improvement on the originals)

5 I would like to replace the wheels(14") and can get hold of a set of 16" units from a 155(the black 5 spoke 4x98 ones) will these fit,offset width etc

Thanks for the help in advance

PS this will be a budget build,no way out ideas please!
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Welcome to the forum Rian..!
Youl have fun ..Watch out for MD and Jimthough.. 8) 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

Yeah 75 brakes fit up without too much hassle- re drill discs, but may need a spacer plate for the wheels because the offset may not be enough. Mine is about 2mm thick aluminium. Good pads available too- my pagids are great, and options to budget upgrade them further like bigger discs too- they're light also- check out the RS Racing pages.

Lowering and Track stuff covered in depth, so worth having a look around-

I've got no idea about cages. I wont pretend to!

As for Nord Engine work... where does it start and where does it stop?

As Baz pointed out, watch out for JimGreek- he may be upset that you haven't read his book! I'm not even that into the Nords and pinched it off my mate for two years. Had to steal it back off me ha! Still about on the net- well worth it.

As for MD. I wouldn't worry too much about him. He will just twist every form of syntax error you may make, into innuendo that will make you look like an idiot- other than that, he's fine :wink:
Fixing it bit by bit....
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Don't worry about Jules. He doesn't need twisting. He was born an idiot :D

Barry (affectionatley known as Bazza to his friends), well he's a lost cause. Him and his mates will be able to play cricket as soon as he stops gazing at his navel all day. :D

So Frosty you wanna build a race car but your pockets are empty? Sheit if they are shallow now, guarranteed once you get started, you'll be out there with a pair of dark glasses, a collection tin and a monkey with an organ grinder trying snuffle donations in the subway!! :D

Tip: have a look at MD's flying brick notes and do a search on roll cages.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Building a cage before fixing rust sounds very strange. I would make sure that the whole body was rust free before starting any major structural work.
As for pictures, what do you want pictured? :)

Check your rulebook before doing anything else though as they vary considerably around the world.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Frosti , strangest coincidence, we just got given an Alfetta 1978 yestreday as club project. Its still running but the owner is moving to coast and gave it to us with a bunch of spares. Anway to start off with we are going to put a permanent cage in, GTV6 torsion bars, vetilated front discs, gas shocks, 30mm AutoDelta antiroll bar, new bushes allround, 105 series castor arm ball joints. The driver is not going to worry about any power at this stage but get the set up right on a limited budget to have fun in a safe car. If you want to piggyback along with roll cage and front antiroll bars give me a shout on 082881602.
If your budget is bigger than ours get an RS kit . Its an excellent bolt suspension kit but with our Rand at the moment it could set you back R15000 hence we are not going there yet.
I have not seen a cage in an Alfetta but with all the pics Mats a and MD helped me out with we can put one together using the basic principles.
I would suggest you read up FIRST as much as possible on this forum eg brake upgrades, suspension(coil over etc), roll cages and print out all the relevant stuff and file it. In other words start learning about the car first then when you are sure you have read most of the stuff you will be surprised how much you can learn here. Spend a week and do research here. You will be able to answer most of your questions and even build on new ideas to improve your car. Check out the 75 Roll cage. You will also see some things here are overkill(underkill) and totally unneccesary like my brake set up and my flimsy roll cage. But you will learn quick .
I can give info on pad compounds which are only avaliable here and semi slick tire sizes befor you rush out and by rims.
Cheers
Kevin
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Sorry my number is 082 881 6062. I can get you new regs on FIA seats and harness which will now apply and wher to get at best prices.
Baz, you keeping those race seats?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Kev,yea..Trofeo is calling... :shock: 8)
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Thanks guys for the info,Kevin,thanks will definitely try and tag along on some stuff if u dont mind,Also have already made contact with barry,he knows the car and says I might have bought a dog,so my planning and budget may have to be adjusted :shock: :cry:

But ye wanna learn as much as possible

PS we have met Kevin,here is a clue,I had a red 164 3.0 manual that u spoke to me about long ago,and we had a chat @ the club on the jumping castle(If u werent there,it will sound strange :roll: )
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Frosty... :roll: close knit Alfa community and all that ?
The reason I should not comment when asked.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Geez, did you have to mention the jumping castle. People are gonna wonder how tight the community is. For those who dont know its really for the kids unless you need to pass out somewhere. Back to Alfas
Does not matter how bad the car is as long as it has not been in a serious or structural accident. Got to gut it anyway and redo all bushings if you gonna race. Come to the next race meeting at Swartkops on 26th.
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Barry wrote:Frosty... :roll: close knit Alfa community and all that ?
The reason I should not comment when asked.
HO CR@P :oops: :oops: :oops:
Sorry I am famous for putting my foot in it ,I should just stay off the PC ,and be less of a danger to society :cry:
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Frosty, post some pics of the car before you start. Its great to watch a project start. Look on Alfabb forum for a 75 race car build by JJ. Its really interesting. The cage he has will be very similiar to what you will do apart from the doors. They follow a NASCAR design which you will recognise if you ever watch there series on near fatal crashes. You might have to sift through some of the replies(not going there as its behind us). Look at castor arm conversion with ball joint. From this thread you can guage whats pretty much out of budget.
Hey Barry, Jose has put the ultra light weight Alfetta GT together again. have you seen it.
Ps Frosty,just leave the pics of the jumping caslte out ,dont want to make Baz jealous.
Pic below by Andrew
Attachments
IMG_9405resize.jpg
IMG_9405resize.jpg (79.77 KiB) Viewed 7417 times
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Hey Kevin,thanks will check those posts,ye not a fan of the nascar design,Hopefully my mechanical engineering background wont fail me(Im a bit rusty)with the rollcage design.

I remember drooling over joses car a few years ago @ a concourse,and yes his RACECAR was clean enough to win the concourse :shock:

I will post pics as soon as I get the car,but it will be going slow because the budget is Zero until end of the year :cry: so it will mainly be my labour of pulling the interior out ,checking for rust,and some other menial tasks till then :roll:
which is actually not a bad thing as I dont have any free time at this stage anyways(read your build post and had a laugh when u said u where steeling work time for the build,that is what will probably happen and I cant afford that really :wink: )
Frost
Silver
Silver

Post by Frost »

Hey Kevin,thanks will check those posts,ye not a fan of the nascar design,Hopefully my mechanical engineering background wont fail me(Im a bit rusty)with the rollcage design.

I remember drooling over joses car a few years ago @ a concourse,and yes his RACECAR was clean enough to win the concourse :shock:

I will post pics as soon as I get the car,but it will be going slow because the budget is Zero until end of the year :cry: so it will mainly be my labour of pulling the interior out ,checking for rust,and some other menial tasks till then :roll:
which is actually not a bad thing as I dont have any free time at this stage anyways(read your build post and had a laugh when u said u where steeling work time for the build,that is what will probably happen and I cant afford that really :wink: )