Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
kevin
Verde
Verde

Re: A 'budget' race car is born (slow delivery)

Post by kevin »

Mats, dont joke. I ran qualifying in one gear which was third due to a gear linkage malfunction !! Night before race i was busy putting prop in and forgot to tighten gearlever housing.
Jes, Mats explain why 4th better than fifth. Blonde moment here.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kev,

I guess they're wondering why are you at 4K rpm in 5th on a race track? If you're saying that on this particular track, you can only do max of 5th @ 4K rpm, then you shouldn't bother shifting to 5th. In 4th you'd probably be around 5.3K rpm and save sometime shifting.
Dr. Alban
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Z, its a very long straight and holding it 7000rpm in fourth for the last four hundred metres makes me nervous. Instinctively you want to shift up. On the old kyalami straight the chaps used hold it in fifth for at least half the straight at 7500rpm. There were a few motors that went from apparent ' oil frothing' and not getting to cams. Thats why they tapped a seperate oil feed to back of cams on the GTV 3.0l. Im not sure if this true or not as i was to young to question those mechanis then. (still in school in 80's). What do you think - bollocks!!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

If it drops from 7000 to 4000 shifting from 4th to 5th, then your ratios are totally off. Even on a stock Verde or Platinum box shifting from 7000 in 4th to 5th will "only" bring the RPM down to 5800. Conversely, 4000 in 5th corresponds to something like 4900 in 4th, and 6400 in 3rd. There should be no reason to chug along at 4000 in 5th, even with a stock gear box and diff. With a close ratio box you can do even better.

You should utilize the power band of the engine better.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Are you sure you're your tach is reading right?
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I change with shift lights(which are 100%) as I had problems with tach only going to 6000rpm. I have just replaced it with another tach. Going check on dyno this weekend to make sure, as I am dynoing the 3.7 motor with a new gotech system as I was struggling to get help fine tuning my haltech ecu. Will talk about that on other thread.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Kevin, for novices (not you) I reckon it is easier to go low tech and change up when experiencing a malodour rising in the helmet.. :D

Now I know this helpful suggestion would not have got passed the old Bazza without a classic contribution. I am definitely missing that bugger..
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Kevin,

It just sounds (by your description) that you have an RPM drop that is really huge, or you're not using the lower gear as well as could be, or you're rpm indication is off (reading lower than actual). Just sounds strange.
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

MD,

We're so lucky to have you here, as you like to share your "overflowing" personal experiences. :mrgreen:
Dr. Alban
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Hey Zeefa. I am sure you must have heard of the old addage :

" All tech and no jokes makes Jack a dull boy."

This is a superb site with only one failing, it takes itself so seriously..I like to think of myself as
the safety valve. ( just don't stand too close when it goes off after a night on the chilli con-carne) :D
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

Being a safety valve would require you to be corked up at some point!
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Ziggy,

...corked, countersunk and kept in a headlock.Anyway you look at it, it's just plain exhausting work.

But if I don't stop hijacking Kevin's topic I gotta feeling he'll be sending me a giant cork for Christmas..

:D :D
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

MD, trust me I dont mind people hijacking my thread with humour, as you said its a bit serious sometimes. I must say I used to really enjoy reading JK's , Baz and your banter. Ps Baz has been working very hard with new job. Had coffee with him the other day, but have not been around to his place in ages. I have called him a few times for some advice on race car which he is always willing to part with.
There could be a new race engine ready for the budget car and by the power figures we got on the dyno in the midrange I figured I can be totally in the wrong gear in the corner and come out of it twice as fast as my current motor. I have also confirmed my current 3.0 24v pushes out 15kw more than a 156 gta on the dyno due to its radical cams, large intake etc but its dead as disco before that. I am starting to log all comparitive dyno readings between a bunch of Alfas we have here that use the same dyno. Sure weather conditions change but not that much here in SA.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Kev,

Does Baz still do any Alfa work ?

I also saw your dyno video of the GTV6 3.7. How about this airbox? It has 4" pipe out of the airbox and you can either get a 3" to 4" reducer silicone hose or a 4" hose with a 4" aluminum adapter pressed onto the stock throttle body. Very nicely made in case you are interested.
Attachments
Beninca Airbox from Petros Bond's car (photos by Petros)
Beninca Airbox from Petros Bond's car (photos by Petros)
small_airbox.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 5387 times
Dr. Alban
MR2 Zig
Verde
Verde

Post by MR2 Zig »

MD

just turning that fan with the brown stuff back in your direction :D
MR1 Zig (I made rate!)
Machinery Repairman USNR