Alfa Romeo ONLY please!
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yeah, no - granted - I am not saying that the strut setup for the rear is the Alpha & Omega - in fact - far from it - so I do "grasp" it.

What I am saying is that the setup in terms of hubs, side-shafts, motor-mounts, gearbox and interface, engine/sub-frame setup, anti-roll bar and mounts - all of that is sorted already and it is all-Alfa! The motor sits in the right spot and you have a huge range of mods ready to go!

That 6-speed GTA box is SWEET and LSDs are under a 1,000 bucks!
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

junglejustice wrote:Yeah, no - granted - I am not saying that the strut setup for the rear is the Alpha & Omega - in fact - far from it - so I do "grasp" it.

What I am saying is that the setup in terms of hubs, side-shafts, motor-mounts, gearbox and interface, engine/sub-frame setup, anti-roll bar and mounts - all of that is sorted already and it is all-Alfa! The motor sits in the right spot and you have a huge range of mods ready to go!

That 6-speed GTA box is SWEET and LSDs are under a 1,000 bucks!
When I was planning out the v6'd X19 (Nearly bought a perfect engineless X19 for the project too) my plan was to keep it looking stockish.. the fairly narrow rubber would have gotten made the struts front and rear liveable. Still, a screaming 2.5 in a X19 is something I think about every now and then...
Anyway, if it was light enough and on realatively narrow rubber you'd live with the struts i guess.

I really need to finish my current race car project and sell it to fund something more "interesting"...
1966 GTV
1982 Suzuki "Bathurst" Katana
1995 Cagiva Mito (race kitted 250 powered)
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

A guy I used to work for was an X1/9 nut and he (still 14 years later) is doing an engine conversion on one. He has a Honda Type R motor going in but for a while is became a toss up between the type R and a 3.0 24v Alfa engine. We measured it up and with a small amount of massaging, it would have fitted. As a finished car it would meet a lot of the criteria - Small, light, powerful, good handling (I actually had an X1/9 for a while and the handling was insanely good :twisted: ) and good italian looks. It's a shame he never seems to finish his projects.
If I ever finish mine, I might think about this one a bit more.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

We all know the value of keeping the centre of gravity low and with that in mind, I was wondering how well the Alfa engines say like the V6's would take to setting them in an incline and how much of an incline would they take before we had lubricating problems that could not be overcome by dry sumps and the like.

Got any clues?

I must say I am genuienly surprised at how much work there has been done already in these areas (in relation to Alfas).
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

At a guess, I wouldn't go much further than the inclination that the FWD v6s have anyway (I imagine much more and you'd start having issues with your oil drainback from the "upright" head, but that's largely speculation on m part). I seem to recall they're laid back, ie front cylinder head is more vertical?
However, with a V layout, as you lay the motor over, you're raising one head untill you get a long way over.
I suspect there's more to be gained in terms of lowering the CG by going to perspex for windows and composite hatches/roof skins.

*IF* you're going with a dry sump and a transverse arrangement, you can get the drivetrain lower in the car by laying it forward a bit. This gets the crank lower, while keeping the diff/inner CV at a sensible height. Similarly, I believe one of the tricks with the Pcar transaxles is to swap the breather and the drain plug and flip the box upside down (and then flip the ring gear). Once again, this lets the crank sit below the level of the driveshafts.

Gotta say, I'm impressed that the 164 front subframe bolts line up with the Sud chassis rails...

Dan, do you recall what areas needed to be "massaged" for the X19v6? I vaguely recall being prepared for a slight clearance hump in the cabin firewall, and possibly losing the rear boot space to the rear cylinder's exhaust
1966 GTV
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

A while back but ...
Lose the boot to the rear head and exhaust, add a power bulge and modify the chassis rail to fit the trans, then it's all uncle bob.
I would still love to do this conversion but too many other things going at once means it probably won't ever happen :cry:
I guess a standard GTV6 layout with a 3.0 24v will have to suffice :)
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I have also been working hard on this mid engine project. The car is running very well but there is a severe clonking and ripping sound through fast right handers. Got a pic to show my progress.
Attachments
IMG_2581kevs164.jpg
IMG_2581kevs164.jpg (117.68 KiB) Viewed 7901 times
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

On a serious note, there is a project on the go here in SA. He is hoping for a 10 sec 1/4 mile. He currently does high 11 sec in a GTV and its not a drag car. I will post pics next week when I see him. The motor is in already.
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

The car is running very well but there is a severe clonking and ripping sound through fast right handers.
I warned yuz all them crazy SAARF AAFRICAANIS would get in first..haa haa.

Hey Kev. I gotta another name for ya but we need to remain friends right ? ha haa.
Last edited by MD on Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Alfettish
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Alfettish »

Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There's a Fiat X1/9 here in Sweden with an 8.32 engine in it...
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Giuliettaevo2
Verde
Verde

Post by Giuliettaevo2 »

if you're into total transformations and a lot of hard work look at:
http://www.grupposportivo.net/AlfaRomeoS3d.htm

the yellow 33 v6 is nice but the real teaser to me is the 155 with the 24v wearing a big intercooler... 8) :shock:

At the moment i'm building a 33 SW with RWD, simply using a Giulietta floorpan under a 33 body... have a v6 waiting to go in it...

Drive it like you stole it...
SydneyJules
Verde
Verde

Post by SydneyJules »

I have been thinking that a nice place for an engine like mine to live would be in the back of a Sprint ala Sprint 6c Showcar- precursor to the Giocattolo.

Would probably need a custom bellhousing and flywheel made up, but you may be able to get the stock transaxle to fit up to an engine for a longit. mount, and have wishbones fabricated to sit off a cradle around the transaxle.

Then you run into front susp. problems, but all workable.

I'd rather cut up a Sprint than a GTV for something that may end up being a waste of money!
Fixing it bit by bit....
la_strega_nera
Platinum
Platinum

Post by la_strega_nera »

SydneyJules wrote:I have been thinking that a nice place for an engine like mine to live would be in the back of a Sprint ala Sprint 6c Showcar- precursor to the Giocattolo.

Would probably need a custom bellhousing and flywheel made up, but you may be able to get the stock transaxle to fit up to an engine for a longit. mount, and have wishbones fabricated to sit off a cradle around the transaxle.

Then you run into front susp. problems, but all workable.

I'd rather cut up a Sprint than a GTV for something that may end up being a waste of money!
Hate to say it, but I reckon a reasonable condition sprint is probably rarer than a reasonable GTV... And as for the alfasud transaxle, i really wouldn't bother. The box might be cheap, but they're weak and there's not alot of high performance bits available for them (does anyone actually make a real LSD for them?). Besides, you can have a GTV starting point for peanuts these days.

The one thing the Sud Sprints have going for them is they are *light*
I guess if you stayed with reasonably narrow rubber (225/235s?) and struts all round that v6 powered sprint on the AlfaBB would be a pretty good road car.
1966 GTV
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

gtv6 there isnt realy room for a engine in the back UNLESS the transmission SHARED the space of the oilpan.....that said id re-design a transmission to share the oilpan of the v6

now a rear engined v6 with porsche transaxle would neetly fit in the back of a milano

nice to see im not the only crazy one here with the hacking off of bodys and doing a "transplant" body updating