ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I would think you need the vacuum line for the ECU (the MAP sensor) hooked up to the plenum. However, if your setup is such that the pressure in the plenum and wherever you connected the vacuum line is the same, you should be ok, but the closer to the "action" the better, I think (the closer to the "outside", you will measure atmospheric pressure). Note that you will not need the vacuum for the distributor anymore. You could use that for the GoTech ECU.

I suppose you could always try and see if your load indicator gives you the full range, i.e. that you utilize all 32 load cells per RPM range.

All intuitive, though. Perhaps some one else can comment as well?

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Jes, Sam I don't know about using the vacuum line on the dizzy... I think that hooking the GT vacuum line up to the plenum (small pee-pee up front on the right) would be better....

As far as emissions - do you guys have the dyno test in GA?

Domingos (GT) seems sure that you can get it to pass; I am with Jes though, you will need cats and I agree with Zamani (lean settings...) Dawie feels like you can tune it right and then just turn the dial down to full lean (left) and be there for the test.

Final tuning it all with closed loop, O2 and cats would be the way to go. Find a local dyno shop with an air-fuel ratio meter (they should have one if they have a dyno) and tell them your objective.

Save that map for future testing. Come back and remap for power.
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

I think he meant using the nipple for the dizzy on the plenum.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Yup.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Yeah, that pee-pee... not the other pee-pee....
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

LOL! I currently have it hooked up to the nipple/pee-pee/port on top of the throttle body that had the line that ran to the dizzy, the dizzy is unplugged. The two up front one goes to the fuel pressure regulator, the other goes to the charcoal canister. I guess I could tee into the cc line. I am running non-abs so I can't do it the way Jes did.

Yes, we have the Dyno emissions, I think they do an idle test, then they run it up to find a certain mixture/reading which has to happen under the max rpm setting, but I am not sure about this.

Can I drive it to the test, then use the knob on the GT to lean it out?

I am working on it this afternoon, so hopefully I will have an update tomorrow!

Thanks!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I'm uncertain how much that knob on the front does. I can check mine tonight as I currently have an O2 wideband sensor and analyzer semi-permanently hooked up for monitoring and tuning.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Jes,

Does your wideband sensor hook up to both the GT system and another monitoring system? Or does it work the GT system at all?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

The wideband O2 sensor is only for air-fuel ratio monitoring (and tuning of map accordingly) - not connected to GoTech. Trying to get the open-loop map dialed in closely before closing the loop with an O2 sensor. Actually, I will probably have the car dyno-tuned open-loop before closing the loop.

Jes
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

ar4me wrote:The wideband O2 sensor is only for air-fuel ratio monitoring (and tuning of map accordingly) - not connected to GoTech. Trying to get the open-loop map dialed in closely before closing the loop with an O2 sensor. Actually, I will probably have the car dyno-tuned open-loop before closing the loop.

Jes
Are you saying the Gotech EMS cannot use the UEGO to auto-tune like the bulk of the other EMS's can?
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I was just clarifying to Sam, the experimental setup I'm currently running on my car.

Having said that, I don't think GoTech has auto-tune. But, what do you expect for a low cost more or less plug-n-play EMS?

Also, my understanding is that auto-tune will only tune AFR and not output power. So, yes, you will get optimal AFR, but you could still be down on power. Nevertheless, it would be a very nice feature. Wonder if they are already working on it...??? At the end of the day, I don't think there is any way around the dyno if you want optimal performance.

Jes
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

ar4me wrote:I was just clarifying to Sam, the experimental setup I'm currently running on my car.

Having said that, I don't think GoTech has auto-tune. But, what do you expect for a low cost more or less plug-n-play EMS?

Also, my understanding is that auto-tune will only tune AFR and not output power. So, yes, you will get optimal AFR, but you could still be down on power. Nevertheless, it would be a very nice feature. Wonder if they are already working on it...??? At the end of the day, I don't think there is any way around the dyno if you want optimal performance.

Jes
I do not think you understand how A/T works Jes.

With most A/T systems you program each cell with what AFR you want. Light cruise generally 14.3 to 14.5 depending on your cams and compression and under WOT you can go as rich as 12-12.5, sometimes higher in boosted conditions.

At any rate, the computer will determine the best settings for you, hence, auto-tune.

It couldn't be more simple.

It frees a lot of work, as you have or are about to find out, and leaves you only with the transient throttle, cold start and the like which is generally specific to each setup.

From what I have read from your detailed installation coverage the Gotech system is no more budget or plug and play than most of the other systems available and now we learn no A/T?

Tell SA to get with it man!

Street tune until you get it close then spend money on a dyno to get MBT.
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I understand it all right. At least there was nothing new to me in your post.

I think you are over-simplifying things, but that is just my opinion. Lets not argue over it.

To my knowledge some of the more advanced systems have really nice features, but also cost a lot more. On the other hand, Megasquirt may be more affordable, but also seems to be a lot more involved. BTW, I have absolutely no relation with GoTech, and I have no personal interest in GoTech, but believe it offers an affordable fairly simple, admittedly less feature rich, alternative to existing options.

Cheers,
Jes
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Brian, you missed the apex somewhere... This is the Gotech forum - not the Beat-Up Gotech forum. The megasqueeze forum is one-click away - just above the Gotech forum...

Seriously, for the money - YOU CAN NOT BEAT IT! Gotech will actuate the Alfa 2.0 VVT for example, no problem - They have it running on a multitude of similar examples driving the signal to Honda VVTi cams, BMW VANOS and Alfa VVT cams....

These are sweet little units - fuel and spark for under a thousand bucks!!! (With the ability to run 60-2 crank-angle sensor and coil-packs, 4-wire wideband lambda O2-ready and data-logging no less...) Open or closed-loop and any combination of MAP, TPS boost etc etc.

Auto-tune has been around for eons! (Motec offers it...) For this price - NO-ONE offers it. You lovely 100 dollar Megasquirt requires HOURS of tuning and soldering and tuning and mapping and driving and frustration. - PROMINENT USERS OF MS ARE TALKING TO ME ABOUT SWITCHING TO GOTECH for simplicity reasons...

The Gotech will however adapt in tuning (once in closed loop.) The map will "learn" (almost like in a linear regression model) and transfer the "step" to the next page of 32 load cells for smoother transition. That feature is unique to the GT.

Gotech PRO X will have much of what you are talking about, still for under a thousand bucks.
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

Sam, I hope that your questions got answered somewhere in Brian's comments...