SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Jes, that sounds great, the stock harness can be pulled with just three additional wires needed to be added to the GoTech harness? plus some addition relays... And yes you are right, the intake temp sensor is there, easy to miss, oh well, now I have a spare temp sensor... JJ, can you confirm that the Pro will work with stock L-Jet injectors? Another side note, can any one tell me a good source for SS nipples to weld to my intake tube for the large vacuum hoses (1/2"), I found a source, but they canceled my order since it was going to take 5 months to fill, Greg's yellow color is looking a little better....
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

SamW,

GregG has the proper tube with the proper sized outlets for all hoses. Why not try that? He sells the tube for V6 owners with aftermarket EFI.
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Zamani, JJ recommended that when I first started, it's just that yellow color that gets me... although now it does not look so bad given all that I have had to do to get parts to build my own, but I found the nipples/ports yesterday from a medical supply company, so hopefully next week I will have mine built...
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

I painted it flat black - just could not take the yellow - it will probably crack when the silicone flexes though.

Jes
87 Milano Verde - daily driver - Juliet
87 Milano 3.0 Motronic - budget race car - Roxanne
87 Milano 3.7 24v - race car
(Repeat or do as I say at your own risk - be critical)
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

An update:

I have tuned the GoTech while driving around. It is pretty good now, and the car definitely runs better than with L-jet - smoother, quicker pick-up, no occasional hesitation, even feels slightly more powerful. Note that this is all seat-of-the-pant tuning and feedback...

Compared to JJ's map I have mostly taken out fuel in various areas (though, not all!). I'm speculating that this makes sense due to better breathing of JJ's engine (50 mm intake runners etc) and my larger injectors (I have Greg's stage2 high impedance while JJ has stock injectors). Keep in mind that it is still open loop.

For idle and crank I took out quite a lot of fuel. I also played with the equivalent of the cold-start enrichment (called "cold debur" in the GoTech setup, I think), and the car will now start at first try, cold or warm. I will still play a bit more with that as it still requires some RPM for the first 5 sec to keep it running.

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

OK, this is the beginings of my GoTech intake, I am going to make two, one for my Verde and one for my GTV6. The Stainless Steel between the TB and the elbow is where I am going to weld some ports for the vacuum lines, also the hole for the gromet for the Air Intake Temp Sensor. The air filter is my current one, too small for the 3" pipe, and I am going to cut the pipe down between the elbow and the Airfilter, I think I can get both out of the SS pipe I already have. I found out the ports I bought are too big, so smaller ones are on the way, plus I am waiting on injectors, so soon I will hopefully fall under the "Success Story" header...
Attachments
GoTech Intake.JPG
GoTech Intake.JPG (110.9 KiB) Viewed 11221 times
junglejustice
Verde
Verde

Post by junglejustice »

SAM! The stainless looks very cool....

Zamani, yes, waste-spark on the PRO... It really is nothing as scary as I used to think; you don't burn up the injectors or the plugs - there are like 50 million cars running waste-spark and it helps with cleaner exhaust gasses.

I want master the damn coil-pack thing now...
...to Alfa, or not to Alfa? That is the question...
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Well, I got the GoTech plugged in this weekend, but that is as far as I got, I need to do some detailing under the hood, and I did reroute the temp sender wires through the right location, after DonG pointed that out to me. I had to put in the new fan and radiator, but the tee in the cooling system was a little rusty, so I am going to take care of that this week, and hopefully get the car running this weekend since it will be a long weekend.
Attachments
Engine.JPG
Engine.JPG (134 KiB) Viewed 11042 times
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

ar4me wrote:For idle and crank I took out quite a lot of fuel. I also played with the equivalent of the cold-start enrichment (called "cold debur" in the GoTech setup, I think), and the car will now start at first try, cold or warm. I will still play a bit more with that as it still requires some RPM for the first 5 sec to keep it running.

Jes
Hey Jes

Just re-read this thread and I think you got it mixed up, the cold debur is something that is always there, cold or hot, to just enrichen the mixture a tad at initial startup.
There is still a cold-start map, isn't there? :?

Might help you to get rid of the need for some rpm for the first 5 sec (which really sounds like the cold debur).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Mats,

Yeah, probably. There is another function (map) where you control the enrichment as function of coolant temp. After playing with that and cold debur (10 sec enrichment, I believe) in combination, the car fires up cold or warm immediately. Only if it has been sitting for 1-2 weeks, does it take a little more cranking.

Jes
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Probably because the fuel drains back to the tank, I have the same "problem" when the 75 T has been sitting a while. Just switch the ignition on/off a couple of times to get the fuel to the injectors.

Anyway, there is a map in there somewhere...I think. :)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

Jes/JJ,

Since the my Verde is not regisitered yet, how well will GoTech work in the the closed loop mode? Do you think I can pass emissions with it, or do I need to get it tunned first? Do you have a good map for this?

Sam
ar4me
Verde
Verde

Post by ar4me »

Not sure about GA emission requirements, but here in CA, I don't think you would pass in open-loop. You wouldn't pass without cats either, I think - at least where I'm at. They put it on a dyno and measure a couple of points under load.

Keep in mind that variations between our cars, may make a map for one suboptimal for another - in terms of performance, pollution, ...

Anyway, you are welcome to try my map, but you would need to get some tuning done locally, I'm sure, and then change it to closed loop.

So, is the car running? Rough, well, ... ?

Jes
SamW
Platinum
Platinum

Post by SamW »

I know I have said this before, but hopefully this weekend, I have everything else sorted out, the fuel tank has been drained, I need to put on my new fuel filter and check why I did not have power to the GoTech unit last weekend, probably a fuse or the relay, have spares for both. Is having the GT vacuum line hooked up to the throttle body going to cause any problems, I noticed you had yours hooked up somewhere else?

I have Greg's injectors, S cam, but other than that stock, with cats. I was hoping to get it registered before I get the final tuning done, I am planning on headers and would like to have them on before I have the final tuning done, but they are down the road a little.

Thanks!

Sam
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

SamW,

I think with all fuel injection system, you need to get a map which is close to what you want it to run at. And if you are using closed loop (O2 in the feedback loop), the fuel map needs to be close to 13.5 - 14.7:1. The reason is, the non-linearity of the voltage output of the narrow band O2 sensors. I think all you need to get the car registered is to have the mixture at 14.5-14.7:1 at idle through to 3000 rpm. Does GA have a dyno emmission testing machine? That could take more time to tune the GoTech.
Dr. Alban