racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

ReTiming 1998 GTV6

Post by racers-image.com »

Hello gents.
I'm needing some assistance here, The GTV decided to have its Timing belt for lunch a coupla weeks back, and today I began the job of replacing it. all went well untill I began looking for timing marks on the crank, and cams. I am unable to locate any discernable marks.

I am in Florida and have no tech sources available.

So, instructions on how to retime the valve train are needed.

thank you in advance for your support.

Rod.
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Rod your heading reads re-timing 1998 GTV6.Unless I missed something this can't be,unless it's a European import ?.Assuming you have a 2.5L 81-86 GTV6 then you can find the rough cam timing marks by removing the round plastic covers at the top-front of same.There is a line scribed in the cam gear wheels which must line up with the pointer moulded into the cambelt cover-inside the hole you've removed the round cover from.The proper and precise way to ascertain correct cam position is to remove the cam covers,put the engine at TDC - compression Cyl#1 -verify this by checking the ignition rotor is pointing at the line in the top of the distributor body.Now look at the camshafts and there is a line scribed in the surface of each one which must line up with a corresponding line in the cam caps the marks are on different caps on each head I recall the third one back on the driver's side and the fourth on the pass.side but look carefully and you will find them.
Attachments
CAMMARK.jpg
CAMMARK.jpg (6.54 KiB) Viewed 9030 times
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

Rod your heading reads re-timing 1998 GTV6.Unless I missed something this can't be.

ahhh, but it is..

http://www.racers-image.com/fpw/alphasig.jpg

Very frustrated at this point, the back valve cover will be a pain in the neck to get removed, and I can find no marks. I do have the front valve cover removed as well as the belt guards. (no joy)

Rod.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So I guess you have stripped it down and replaced the heads?
If the engine was running I'd say there is no way the valves (any of them) survived a timing belt mishap.
I would check pistons and rods too.

I seem to remember that there are markings on the back of tha cams but the only way you can be sure to get the right timing is if you buy the original tool which clamp the cams in the right position.
Also you should know there are no keys in the cams/camwheels so when you take them apart you cant just put them back together in the sam place and line up the marks on the wheels (had there been any).
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Seb
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Seb »

I recomend www.GTVV6.com They are more up to date there, I would think.

Good Luck/ Seb
Proud member of Team Rauk Race.

156 V6 24v -98
GTV6 3.0QV-83
75 3.0 Race Car "The raukster"
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Rod I should have believed you ! How did you get that little beast into the US.Is the 2.5 similar to my "old" engine.Hope you resolve your problem easlily.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

GTV

Thank you all for your quick reply, I will try the other forum you mentioned. If anything "rings a bell" please contact me.
as for bringing it into the U.S.

How bout them bears? :lol:

Rod.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Rod,The 4 cams will have a flat line type of mark on the rear of each cam.These are lined up with the flat parting line of the cam cap.

# 1 cyl int. and exh.will face one another as in approx. 2 pm and 11 am.9both on cyl # 1)

Cyl # 4 exhaust will face out(looking from the frnt-timing belt side)approx. 2pm.Cyl # 6 intake will face out as well -approx 11 am.position.
If you look at the rear of the cams you will now find the line type marks im on abput.

Your motronic wheel will have the tdc mark in between 2 teeth.I wouls set up tdc with a dail indicator though.

Hope this helps.

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

Barry wrote:Rod,The 4 cams will have a flat line type of mark on the rear of each cam.These are lined up with the flat parting line of the cam cap.

# 1 cyl int. and exh.will face one another as in approx. 2 pm and 11 am.9both on cyl # 1)

Cyl # 4 exhaust will face out(looking from the frnt-timing belt side)approx. 2pm.Cyl # 6 intake will face out as well -approx 11 am.position.
If you look at the rear of the cams you will now find the line type marks im on abput.

Your motronic wheel will have the tdc mark in between 2 teeth.I wouls set up tdc with a dail indicator though.

Hope this helps.

Barry
Brilliant.... thank you very much.

on the rear of each cam are 3 lines however, are they used for advancing cam timeing? one is more promenent than the others.

Thank you VERY much for the consult.

Rod.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Rod,No,The other marks originate from the steady on the grinder when the lobes are ground.Dont use them as references at all.

Do you need pictures??If so,I need to do them now as Im flying to Cape Town in the morning for our national race meeting and wont be on the net untill Monday next week.Im on line now for a while.....

Barry
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Rod,Most important,ALWAYS turn a newly timed motor by hand at least 2 full cam rev turns.The 24v bends valves very easily....

Barry
racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

Nope,... I see what you mean..

Fair Weather.

Rod.
racers-image.com
Silver
Silver

Barry wrote:Rod,No,The other marks originate from the steady on the grinder when the lobes are ground.Dont use them as references at all.

Do you need pictures??If so,I need to do them now as Im flying to Cape Town in the morning for our national race meeting and wont be on the net untill Monday next week.Im on line now for a while.....

Barry
Barry,

things have been better for me,.... I may need to take you up on those pictures, we attempted to do this with the engine in the car and were unable to. I now have the engine on the floor and still can not find the lines you describe.

Rod.