fredcsl
Silver
Silver

HELP ! V6 3.0l 24v Oil in coolant and vice versa

Post by fredcsl »

Guys,

I just got reassembled my V6 3.0L 24v to refurbish the 2 head gaskets and after the first start i discovered bad coolant smell, mixed moisture on oil cap and oil in the coolant fluid.

When i open the coolant tank all the liquid goes out and is under pressure after 30 secondes runing from cold engine.

This thing drives me crazy as i spent a lot of time on this engine checking if the heads were wrapped, even the liners, the block ...

Does a bad piston liner o-ring could affect in that way ? Or i suspect a crack in one head (even if i checked them on all sides)

Any idea or experience ?
I am a bit lost ...
Thanks for sharing

Shot at 2007-07-20
Last edited by fredcsl on Sat Jul 21, 2007 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Fred,What headgaskets are you using?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

Hello Barry,

I use the stock ones directly coming from Alfa Romeo.

How could i check which cylinder is incriminated ? Removing a spark plug one by one and check the pressure of the coolant tank ?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

In that case the only place oil and water can mix is from the 2 middle bottom(exh.)studs into the oil drain back holes.Ive had that with std head gaskets from Alfa..Its not always the correct thing to do but I suggest adding a radiator sealant like "Indian Head" or "Barsleaks" etc..Its done wonders for me without negatively affecting the engine at all..

Im assuming here that the sleeves were not removed?
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

In that case the only place oil and water can mix is from the 2 middle bottom(exh.)studs into the oil drain back holes.Ive had that with std head gaskets from Alfa..Its not always the correct thing to do but I suggest adding a radiator sealant like "Indian Head" or "Barsleaks" etc..Its done wonders for me without negatively affecting the engine at all..

Im assuming here that the sleeves were not removed?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

TWO WORDS: HEAD GASKET

Don't waste more time..pull engine, pull the heads
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

Arrr ... I can't beleive it's due to the head gaskets, they are all new !
Sleeves haven't been moved at all.

Which area do you mean Barry for the drain hole ?

Shot at 2007-07-20
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Look, I know it SUCKs BIG TIME, but you have to deal with it... better than antifreeze as your lubricant at 7000rpms!

Check out my post:

http://www.alfagtv6.com/bb/viewtopic.ph ... asket+leak

I had the same symptoms..increased pressure in coolant bottle and antifreeze condensation under oil fill cap..
This was a NEW head gasket with only a few miles...either was due to bad gasket or very subtle deformity in head
Attachments
bot_001_689.jpg
bot_001_689.jpg (109.81 KiB) Viewed 9645 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Fred,These 2 holes are for the stud and for the drain back hole for the oil...

Ive had this problem on a few motors now,one being Kevins engine a while back..

This gasket had silicon on from a previous assembler,ignore the silicon..
Attachments
DSC02154.JPG
DSC02154.JPG (154.88 KiB) Viewed 9624 times
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Fred,These 2 holes are for the stud and for the drain back hole for the oil...

Ive had this problem on a few motors now,one being Kevins engine a while back..

This gasket had silicon on from a previous assembler,ignore the silicon..
Attachments
DSC02154.JPG
DSC02154.JPG (154.88 KiB) Viewed 9620 times
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

Heads are now off and nothing is wrong. Gaskets are perfect, combustion chamber, drain oil holes as well.

How could i test the proofness of the head ?
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Have you measured the sleeve protrusion yet?
How old are the heads? although I must say Ive not yet had a 24v head with cracks..

Just thought of another possibility..Water seeping from under the head nuts and washers into the cam covers..That Ive had before..It comes up from the block next to the studs..

Can you post a pic of the gasket surface,head side??
Waht are you torquing the head nuts to?
Are you using Alfa`s recommendations of 20,40,55 and then some degrees??

I pull them up with a good old torque wrench to 88nm....
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

You only torque at 88 Nm and it is enough ?
I tried the Alfa method when i reassembled last time => 25 Nm + 240° of course in several steps. But i stopped at 180° because i was afraid to brake the studs... :oops:

My heads look as new. In fact all the engine looks new, pistons are, cam shafts, dry sump pump, block ...etc. It is a race engine and i suspect it as been rebuild recently but may be not in the art's rules.

I can't take any pic at the moment, but i remerber one of my gasket is a Victor Saenz and the other is different. I checked them and looked good.

The sleeves are bizarre, they can easilly turn into the block (with the pistons in). I tried to mesure protusion but it is not so easy.
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

correct sleeves? Mine can turn but are very snug.

Too bad it was not head gasket....

But you did not waste anything because you can now pressure test heads..
fredcsl
Silver
Silver

Post by fredcsl »

How can i do that ? (pressure test)
Do you have DIY solution or should i take them to a professional ?