Burger
Silver
Silver

24v 3.0

Post by Burger »

I just lucked into one of these out of a smashed 164.I will have access to all the electrical in the donor car so i'm gonna try to convert my gtv6 to autotronic.I looked at Sporttuners plan to put in a350z tranny and I also have access to an S2000 6-speed.I know the tunnel in the s2000 is really tall but was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this.Oh yeah,I may know of 2 3.0 12v for sale if anyone is interested,p.m me Burgersix@hotmail.com.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

good luck! slowly but surely i am finding pieces to bring the project together. the transmission adaptor is the biggest pain in the ass, followed by the flywheel size, and starting the damn thing!
v
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

I didn't realize the 24v were still motronic!Ah well,I've decided against changing trannys-for now anyway,I've got enough projects!I've got the engine,It's very clean,has been regularly maintained,so let the swap/headaches begin!!
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Still Motronic? What would they be if not Motronic?
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Burger
Silver
Silver

Post by Burger »

I didn't realize they still used an AFM with the coil packs and 24v configuration,honestly,I hadn't been paying much attention to 24v because of availibilty and price.There were about zero in Canada and less than a thousand in U.S...
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

There are loads of different Motronic variants Flap meter, hotwire, hotfilm, single coil/dizzy, coilpack/wastefire, coil-on-plug and so on..
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

are the 12v 3l piston liners the exact same as the 24v piston liners?
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

Is the 3l 12v bell housing longer than the gtv6 by 4 mm and that is why it must be used for the 24v swap? can a 2.5 unit just be spaced the 4mm out?
v
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

I'm using a 2.5 housing on my 24v.
I think it is only the crankshaft that is 4 mm shorter.
Either use a gtv6/75/90 flywheel with a 4 mm spacer or adapt the standard 24v flywheel for attachment to the tailshaft.
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

thanks again daniel. sometimes the compendium of sources on this forum makes it difficult to finally decide which way is the right way.
matfo
Silver
Silver

Post by matfo »

Daniel wrote:I'm using a 2.5 housing on my 24v.
I think it is only the crankshaft that is 4 mm shorter.
Either use a gtv6/75/90 flywheel with a 4 mm spacer or adapt the standard 24v flywheel for attachment to the tailshaft.
I'm going to use the GTV6 2,5 housing and a Alfa 75 3.0 flywheel on my Q4 engine.

I was under the impression that I had to use a spacer for the starter to get it to fit but when I tried to mount it there where no problem with the starter. The only thing I had to do was to get new bolts to the flywheel since its a different thread in the Q4 crank than in the 12V engines and at the same time the 75 3.0 flywheel is thicker where the bolted connection to the crank are.

However now when I see your post I'm starting to feel unsecure again.
Do I have to make a spacer or some adjustments?
I have tried to measure and compare with the original 2.5 engine and everything seems to be correct.

Where should I measure and compare to be sure that the flywheel will fit to the axis when placing it in the car?
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Mats Forssén
75 TS
159 1750Tbi SW
http://www.matforacing.se
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

I only had a 4mm flywheel spacer with new longer bolts. Used 2.5 bellhousing and made no adjustments with 2.5 starter motor until adopted Barrys method of using a 164 starter motor.
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

The only thing I had to do was to get new bolts to the flywheel since its a different thread in the Q4 crank than in the 12V engines
Now you have me worried - I know that the 12v engines have M12x1.5 thread, what does the 24v have?

I am going with the 2.5 bell housing and retaining the standard 24v flywheel (somewhat modified) and starter motor. My flywheel mod requires me to use bolts 15mm longer than the standard 24v ones. I hope I can get the thread in a grade 10.9 or better.
matfo
Silver
Silver

Post by matfo »

Daniel wrote:
The only thing I had to do was to get new bolts to the flywheel since its a different thread in the Q4 crank than in the 12V engines
Now you have me worried - I know that the 12v engines have M12x1.5 thread, what does the 24v have?

I am going with the 2.5 bell housing and retaining the standard 24v flywheel (somewhat modified) and starter motor. My flywheel mod requires me to use bolts 15mm longer than the standard 24v ones. I hope I can get the thread in a grade 10.9 or better.
If I remembering correctly it was M12 x 1 and I got it in 12.9.
I can check the thread the next time I'm in the garage to confirm the size.

I'm also going to do some more measurements to see if I must us a (4 mm) spacer for the flywheel.
Mats Forssén
75 TS
159 1750Tbi SW
http://www.matforacing.se
Sporttunergtv6
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Sporttunergtv6 »

I really appreciate the way we can hash out solutions here! Michael is da'MAN.

While we are talking about the slight differences between the 12v and 24v, can someone tell me if the 3l 12v pistons rings are the same as the 3l 12v rings?

thanks,

V