Anything that does not fit into other topics.
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Audi pulls out of American Le Mans Series

Post by MALDI »

http://auto-racing.speedtv.com/article/ ... t-of-alms/

Follows right on the heels of Honda pulling out of F1.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Audi pulls out of American Le Mans Series

Post by MALDI »

Scathing commentary from Mike Fuller at Mulsanne's Croner http://www.mulsannescorner.com/newsnov08.html

While nothing official has been released, Acura has apparently reaffirmed internally that the LMP program is still a go for 2009; the Honda F1 pullout will have no impact on the 2009 American Le Mans Series program. Additionally, comments coming out of Acura indicate immense disappointment with Audi's withdrawal. Everyone should recall Audi's comments at the 2006 American Le Mans Series award banquet, "Why is Audi unchallenged? Ask Porsche – where are you with your glorious motor sports history? Why are you not in the top category? Honda-Acura, why not in the premier formula? Why LMP2? Come and challenge us. If you beat us, we will honor you." And just as that competition has emerged Audi goes the other way. I have a very tough time believing "absolute" costs are behind Audi's decision not to race in the ALMS next year. Yes I'm fully aware of the horrible economic climate, remember what industry I work in? This uncertainty has been going on for much longer than most are aware, take my word for it. But if we believe that Audi has indeed built a new LMP challenger (and I'm not suggesting that we shouldn't), then we believe that the large costs have already been spent and the operating costs to race for a season are a mere drop in the bucket in comparison. So it seems a little odd to spend 85% and suddenly not be able to swallow spending the last 15%. But ultimately I'll suggest that yes, costs are the issue, but not as we've been made to believe. Audi certainly has plenty of money to race the R15 next year...but I'm betting that they're worried about the costs associated with staying competitive with Acura (and Peugeot). Semantics? Perhaps. But there's evidence to believe that Acura has thrown the gauntlet down and Audi should be concerned. A shame that Audi can't be goaded in to sticking around. If you ask me, this will be the first time in their 10 year association with the ALMS that they would have had real and sustained competition.
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Subaru and Suzuki pull out of WRC

Post by MALDI »

Subaru and Suzuki pull out of the World Rally Championship
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Pretty sure more bad news will come. Maybe even the end of some series.
Dr. Alban
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

What will happen with Audi's R8 GT-3 car now ? Are they just going to let privateers race it ala Porsche and Ferrari style?

All in all it's not a great time for motorsport right now. :cry:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
MALDI
Platinum
Platinum

Post by MALDI »

Porsche pulls its factory support for LMP2 cars in ALMS
(but stays in GT2)

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/12/15/pors ... t-of-alms/
'84 GTV6 3.0L
'81 X1/9