Anything that does not fit into other topics.
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Re: Does Anyone still Love driving their GTV6 ?

Post by PietereQ »

Dug up this old video when my car wasnt rolling on jackstands... just few more weeks awwwww god give me strength :D

quick shift huh ? @ 0:41 8) ...Has to do something with doppler effect most likely...
http://pl.youtube.com/watch?v=ARxy93dtFk4
lucass81
Gold
Gold

Post by lucass81 »

There´s no doubt about the greatness of GTVs. I dont know any other cars from the 80s that attract so much atention in the streets today without going into supercar territory, Ferraris, porsches, etc. But I´m getting to a point of accepting that my GTV6 with its 12v 2.5 is no longer a fast car in the streets. I dont care cause still is much more fun driving fast in the GTV6 than in any other modern car. But today most cars can keep up with me.
84 GTV6
96 M3
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

Well to overcome the performance deficiet I have worked out a devious plan. I am going to undertake a body weight reduction program by cutting some big holes in the floor. I am then going to supplement the horsepower with foot power, get some thick soles for my shoes and peddle through the holes in the floor Flinstone style.

I have been told that this is the most cost effective way to increase my foot pounds of torque..let me know if you want the plans.. :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Mike my dad beat you to that idea years ago. :lol: He bought a brand new Alfa Berlina 1600 and carted my sister and I off to Durban for a seaside holiday.I was maybe 3 years old at the time by the way. :D Anyway's he had to park his new baby outside and it bucketed down with rain.The next day he was confronted with a lot of rain water in the back foot wells. :shock: By the time he got us back to Johannesburg it had started rusting through with a vengence,cue one big hole in the floor board... :D

Only snag with this devious plan of his,was I was a bit to young to get my legs to reach the road and help out when he decided to TLGP some or the other Ford. :lol:

Lucas when the economy picks up,thing of saving up for one of Greg's supercharger kits my friend. 8)

By the way I dusted another BMW 330i on Sunday morning.I decided it would be good to give him a car length head start and only nail it from second....ha ha I hope he enjoyed the sound of an Arese V6 balsting his Bavarian passion wagon into the weeds.Needless to say he lost enthusiasim for any further antics. :lol:
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Many years ago as a reletive youngster My boss plonked some cash in my hand and asked me to go entertain a Dutch couple who had flown over for some business dealings..

My mode of transport My Berlina 20l with defunct sunroof !
The sunroof was steel and was kept in place by using 2 x medicine containers jammed into the rail ..
This was ok for me but it was not water tight at the seal.

Driving into Johannesburg to Sandton City we went through the mother of good old highveld storms..
Needless to say when I took the off ramp and applied brakes a million liters of water came gushing from the roof and wet everybody in the car !!

It was screamingly hilarious ! The Dutch have awesome sense of humour and we were rolling in fits of laughter !
We had one hell of a day after wards.

My Berlina 20l...she was a good little car. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :D
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
tonygtv6
Silver
Silver

Post by tonygtv6 »

trust me its a girl thing when a female climbs in an alfa shes not scared and wants to go fast but it will only hapen in an alfa :twisted: 8)
GarthW
Verde
Verde

Post by GarthW »

Hey F, i'm so with you. I've just noticed this thread and had to chime in.

I've never stopped loving driving my gtv6, especially now since its re-birth its now even greater, i still get a afew butterflies before i jump in now, and yes sometimes i would be like damn i could just keep on driving, and sometimes i have passed my driveway and kept going.

Driving the other day on the freeway i had a guy in his alfa gtv come screaming up behind me, then beside me wanting to race, i dont know why but i dont like racing other Alfas, if i was him, i would want to just run along side me, and after demolishing him, till he was a dot in the rear view, he came up flying again wanting another run...? I waved him off and just shook my head. I was driving in front of a guy in his 350Z the other day, i didnt leave him, but simply kept the gap the same, he was flooring it to try close it, so that was frustrating for him, funny for me for i was hardly on the gas, i have the same torque as those from a very early rev point, so funny how the tables have turned, blowing away high priced exotics is great fun, the power to weight of the gtv6 now is crazy.

Fernando you are never alone, as you are driving in your country, no matter what the time, someone in another part of the world, in another gtv6 is feeling the same if not similar emotions as you, me, and all the guys on this forum. These cars were built with love and therefore have a soul, or have an amazing way of carrying the energy from past owners and who, of course traditionally worked on them back in Milan. Thats what i believe, and the feeling has always been the same since i was 18, now 33 so a good indication.

Enjoyed your thread very much. :)

Regards,
Garth.

Selling 1985 GTV6.

Ecu and injectors, lightened.....plays music.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Garth it's really great to read about guy's still enjoying their Alfa's the way they were intended. :D Good luck with that turbo beast mate,I hope it brings many a mile and plenty of smiles.

On my side Barry and I might have a nice little surprise in store about where to now that I bust the crank in my 3.6... :twisted:

Details to follow...
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Ha ha the world can be a funny place sometimes...on Saturday I got to drive in a .........wait for it......................................................................................................Lexus IS250 . :lol: It's a very well put together motorcar but it does not make my heart beat faster.We drove on the old Hartebeespoort dam roads that I used to breakfast run on years ago and well I would have preferred my GTV6 thank you very much. :twisted:
fortom
Gold
Gold

Post by fortom »

Hey Fernando, whats happening with your car???? and tel Barry not to be so scarce here.
Tom
Duk
Verde
Verde

Post by Duk »

MD wrote:Well to overcome the performance deficiet I have worked out a devious plan. I am going to undertake a body weight reduction program by cutting some big holes in the floor. I am then going to supplement the horsepower with foot power, get some thick soles for my shoes and peddle through the holes in the floor Flinstone style.

I have been told that this is the most cost effective way to increase my foot pounds of torque..let me know if you want the plans.. :D
For added weight reduction methods and better performance, tie helium baloons to the car. The more attached, the lighter it gets :P .
Replace those windows you don't look out of very often with light weight aluminium foil. It'll look like you have really cool tint on those windows from a distance too :wink: .
Use 2 dolphin torch 6V batteries wired in series to replace that heavy car battery. You could even try using 3 in series and see if the car is faster at 18V. A simiar method worked for me on my slot car track so I see it working on an Alfa Romeo too as they handle nearly the same :D .
Perform acceleration tests on steep decents. The improved times will give you exstra bragging rights around the gullible and stupid :P.
Race against fat people, especially if they are on pushbikes or walking :wall: .

Finally, when caught speeding in rural areas, deny any and all brakings of the speed limit and accuse a non existant low flying aircraft as the culprit that was detected by the law enforcers speed measuring device and claim that your humble Alfa is not capable of such amazing acts of velocity. Use the age of the vehicle to add creadance to your claim of it's meager performance while doing your best to conceal your blatant liying :mrgreen: .
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I really enjoy driving these cars. Yesterday I had a very exciting drive in a 10psi Milano 3.0. The engine was just way too much for the stock size 195/55-15 tires which really added to the excitement. I was planning on tuning the car, but found it to be nearly impossible because the engine would break the tires loose in first gear no matter how slowly I advanced the throttle. Once the throttle is about half way down, it starts to smoke the rear tires, and with the 47% LSD (thanks Jim K.) the car wants to go sideways when the rear tires break loose.

Next I tried accelerating in second gear, at about 4000rpm, probably about where max torque occurs, the tires once again lit up. Keep in mind this is with 3.55 gears so at 4000 rpm in second you are going pretty fast and fishtailing down a narrow road is a little too exciting for me under these conditions. At that point I decided to take it easy and enjoyed a relaxing drive home. I called the dyno shop to make an appointment because there is no way I can tune this thing on the road with these tires.

Hopefully the dyno results will be good, the car is hampered by a single 2.0" exhaust outlet, but otherwise it's very well setup with 10psi, a good intercooler, injection etc.

I enjoy driving other cars, we have a couple older BMWs (an E30 and an E28) and they are fun, but the Alfas seem like a whole different level of excitement. I can't really explain why. The E30 325 is a fun car, by the numbers it's pretty comparable to a GTV6 or Milano. However there is something about the total experience, sound, feel, and I don't know what else that really separates the Alfas.

Greg Gordon,
http://www.hiperformancestore.com
Last edited by Greg Gordon on Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GTV27
Platinum
Platinum

Post by GTV27 »

Took my GTV6 out for a dawn run with a bunch of hooligans from another forum - mostly late model big hp euro and jap stuff. My little GTV6 aquitted it self well. On the run home, I got myself at the head of the group cause I knew some twistys were coming up (Kyolge to Rathdowney via Lions Road for those in SEQ). Don't know what happened to the rest of the group 'cause thats the last I saw of them - I had FUN though :twisted:
Jason
1983 GTV6 2.8 litre
hardalfa
Silver
Silver

Post by hardalfa »

I dont own a GTV6 anymore, sold it a couple of years ago and miss it madly but i drive a red alfa 75 2.5, its my daily drive and its missing half of its exhaust system so its very loud. As far as drag racing goes i dont really want to race anybody of the lights i have paid to many fines in the past years. The last fine i paid was for doing 69kmh in a 40km zone in my GTV6. But not to long ago i wound up my alfa75 to 175kmh on the freeway and there was plenty more left i just didn't want to explore further.Love the 75 its a great car and it has a lot to offer as an alternative to the GTV6.