Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Great idea Greg. :D Slight correction Mr B,it's currently on the 205X50X15... :lol:

It will be interesting as it will also allow me to see the difference between it's current gearing and the soon to be 215X45X17's in terms of acceleration times. :wink:

Barry give me a shout if you need help filming the runs ?
"Racing is life,everything before and after is just waiting."- Steve Mqueen
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

OK, the video links are fixed. The supercharged car has its original 1984 gearbox, so it's a 4.10 box with whatever second gear they used in that year. The wheels are originals. I am not sure what tires were on the car when I filmed the video. They were either 215/45-15 or 195/60-15, or 205/60-15. There was a lot of tire swapping around going on then.

Sounds like tires and gearing are about as close as you will find on two GTV6s.

The temperature was around 60F or 16C, you can see on the Nordskog gauge that the intercooler discharge air was only about 86F so it wasn't heat soaked. Elevation in Tulsa is about 600 feet. In other words these were pretty good conditions for acceleration. I think you are at higher elevation. According to my map of South Africa, almost everything there that isn't right on the coast is up pretty high.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Greg it sounds like everything is pretty much equal on our two cars so it's going to be fun and interesting.

We are about 5500 to 6000 feet above sea level so losing about 16% relative to the coast according to Mercedes Benz SA.

That's why a holiday at the coast is so great,I get a 'free' horsepower upgrade... :lol:
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

That's what I thought. With the altitude factored in I am sure your car is quicker, but I think the super 2.5 would keep up pretty well.

The stopwatch shows the supercharged car getting through the revs slightly faster, at least as I timed it. However if they were at the same altitude the 24valve 3.6 would certainly be quicker, at least at higher rpm. In any case, they look to be darn close!

I will speculate that in a straight up drag race with the cars in their current configurations the 3.6 24valver would win the race, but just by a little bit. If the cars get caught in the wrong gear the 2.5 may out pull it at really low rpm.

Time the videos from 2750-6750 and see what you think.

Greg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

I tell you what Mr Gordon,I'm not so sure about the 24 Valver pulling ahead there ! The s/c car is making loads of torque from get go here..
Yes,the 3.6 is also a torquey bugger but I know forced induction..
Im not so sure its going to be ahead at all..
Lokked at both vids again,damn impressive must say..

Two tremendous cars though !
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
kevin
Verde
Verde

Post by kevin »

Holy s!@# Greg, that supercharged 2.5 goes like hell. Have you got any figures on a 1km sprint or 1/4 mile. Really impressive.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I don't know Barry, the altitude issue is a significant factor. The 2.5's strong low end grunt would be partially offset in a drag race by traction limitations and the ability to slip the clutch in first to get moving.

Hi Kevin,

Thanks. I don't have any timed runs with that car. It's not mine, so I can't take it to the track and hammer on it. On the brighter side, I will have my personal car operational in a few months and I will get some good times from it.

Greg
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Am i judging correctly (ok but very roughly) that your cars have around circa 6secs 0-100km/h in these vids?
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

PietereQ, NO, these vids only show second gear (the 24valver vid shows some higher gears as well). For a 0-100kmh run we would use first gear for much faster acceleration.

Greg
Rookie ROX
Gold
Gold

Post by Rookie ROX »

So then the question has to be posed - What are we both doing 0-100km/h in? :twisted:

ROCK ON
R~R
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

It's tough to get a super accurate run that would be comparable to magazine times. They abuse the car and then mathematically correct the times to what they would be under "standard" atmospheric conditions. (In other words they do 10 abusive runs, get a best time of 7.4 and then publish 6.0 because that's what the math shows it would have done under different atmospheric conditions.)For those reasons I don't even bother to time the acceleration.

I much prefer an actual drag race rather than 0-100kph comparisons. My drag race video against the Cobalt shows how fast a supercharged GTV6 is. The car it's racing has a 0-100kph time of 6.2 according to Chevrolet and many magazine tests. I don't have any other drag race videos, but that car has beaten WRXs and RX8s without any real problem. It even beat a 350Z in a high speed contest.

The intercooled GTV6 shown in the video on this thread is quicker than the grey car in the drag race video. I am building two cars right now that will be far quicker than either. One is mine, so there will be more videos.

Greg
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

[quote="Fernando"]Great idea Greg. :D Slight correction Mr B,it's currently on the 205X50X15... :lol:

Not any more !
Attachments
DSC00590.JPG
DSC00590.JPG (147.86 KiB) Viewed 6177 times
Last edited by Barry on Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
French cars are shit and shit expensive to service and bloody awful and unreliable and expensive and friends don't let friends drive french cars and you wait years for parts.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Now that's funny.
Fernando
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Fernando »

Greg your right,reading Barry's response gave me a much need ab workout this morning. :lol:

Barry as I told you this morning I am over the moon with the choice of mag on my baby. :D

Greg hopefully Barry and I will get those video clips up fairly soon.I was seriously impressed with the clip of your second gear pull.It looks to me as if it would just carry on pulling until the motor cried enough. :shock:

Up here on the Reef your conversions would be potently strong in my opinion. :twisted:
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

Mis calculated the front ride height yesterday..Gave it more of a four times four look...Sorted that all out today.
Yup,looks better.
Attachments
DSC00602.JPG
DSC00602.JPG (144.72 KiB) Viewed 6106 times