Anything that does not fit into other topics.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

WRX

Post by Zamani »

Has anyone with a 3.0 spanked a WRX? I think I did just now. Very strange, I was pretty sure I was gonna get spanked pretty good. I even pulled to the left (slower lane) while my foot was on the floor and he was still behind me. The WRX had a big exhaust too.

I saw VW R32s getting beaten by WRXs, so maybe my car has a chance against the R32.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

Maybe he didn't know it was a race? 8)
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Shoo! :D
Micke
Verde
Verde

Post by Micke »

Maybe he had an ice cream in one hand and his telephone in the other. Just used 5th gear....
Jim K
Verde
Verde

Post by Jim K »

3 years ago when the local Soobies had a track day, I ran my 3liter (205hp back then) with them (all cars with semislicks) and I beat 7 out of 10 cars. They were mostly std (218hp) and WRX's with ~260hp. Their club tech said they lose a LOT because of the 4wd, as much as up to 55hp...and they weigh about the same with the 75; what can I say, they were all asking how much power my poor 75 had...I thought they were playing with me but it was for real! Now, that was no dragrace, just a regular track meet.
Yeah,yeah, I know...ice-cream cones in both hands... :lol:
Jim K.
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

I have beaten a few with my supercharged 2.5 at 7.5psi. This set up was about 180-185rwhp so that's about like a really good 3.0. At first I thought I was beating them due to the variables involved (automatic transaxles, air conditioning on, heat soaked intercooler, etc) however I have done it enough times that I am sure that 180rwhp in a GTV6 will beat a stock WRX in a drag race.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

Chaps, if the WRXer doesn't know it's a race, you will administer spankage. The WRX has nothing down low in the rev range. Now if said WRXer is ready, I think you'd need more than 200HP under your 116's bonnet. The torque available once the Subaru (std WRX) gets to ~3,500rpm is incredible. If there is a 'proper' exhaust, it will keep producing into the 7,000rpm range.

Greg, next time I pass thru OK in my WRX, we'll have to put my statements to the test. (For the record, I've never driven thru OK).

Keep in mind that the age demographic buying WRXs in the US is 18-35. A lot of pimply-faced owners out there just have no notion how to drive them. Me, being 35, makes me an expert, of course :wink:
Attachments
BigLoudPipeWifeHatesIt_.JPG
BigLoudPipeWifeHatesIt_.JPG (180.57 KiB) Viewed 8933 times
Greg Gordon
Verde
Verde

Post by Greg Gordon »

Dave, you are right about the demographic issue. A newbie driving a WRX at low rpm without the turbo spooled up is quite bit different from someone who knows what he is doing. Still, I am pretty darn sure that 180 rear wheel horsepower in a GTV6 is enough to beat a stockish WRX. Now that I think about it didn't they recently up the engine displacement on those cars? That might be a different issue.

My car is undergoing a transformation right now. When it's done, if all goes according to plan, it will be able to tackle STIs.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Yup teenage guy driving this one. Quarter mile time scribbled on his windsheild.

It was right behind me as we both merged, about 1 car length behind.

When I floored it in 2nd he was still right behind me. I pulled to the slower lane because I thought he was gonna fly past me since I couldn't shake him. He had a big exhaust in the back too. Never happened, 3rd gear to 7K rpm and he was still behind me but the gapped opened up a little, but not by much.

I am highly doubtful he didn't know it was a race. I mean at 100 mph about 2-3 car lengths behind and "still didn't know it was a race" is unlikely.

But who knows, right? Maybe his car had boost problems. Personally I'm not afraid of stock WRXs, but modified it's very quick. Anyway I expected to lose, but didn't.

Last month an Audi TT225 (twin exhaust) got the same thing. I let him have the jump, and it was over at the top of 4th. Very close race though, about 3 car lengths behind my car.

I wouldn't say I could beat them easily. I think if we started from 0, I would have gotten smoked pretty bad by both cars. But I never start from 0 with any car.

Not really into this kinds of thing, but you can't help it sometimes hehe, especially when a teenager with his cap on backwards tries to show "what's up". I'm actually much more afraid of the S2000. I've seen stock ones spank a WRX pretty badly.

If you guys remember Chip? He had a modified WRX and according to him his 24V milano is quicker. His 24V milano dynoed at 196rwhp, you can see his dyno chart on AlfaBB and that Milano, as we tested, was a little slower than mine. Tested in both 2nd and 1st. Not much slower, but just a hair.

The new owner put in a Squadra chip and now it's a quicker than mine. If the 24V milano puts in cams, I wouldn't be surprised if he will give an STi a scare.

Remember guys, my car only has between 180-190 rwhp. But it's a 2WD and a hell of a lot lighter than a WRX or a TT.

Oh yes, this was a 2.5 WRX, the latest one.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

When you're ready, my friend has an '07 STI with 3 inch piping, no cat, and modified ECU. 5 people in the car and he raped a late 90's Z28 Camaro, twice!!

He also has an S13 SR20DET 2.2 liter. Take your pick :D

Hey, but seriously, if you want to sell your 12 valve, let me know. I don't want to go 24V anyhow and I'd pretty much be building mine up like you did yours I think.
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Err.... I had a very close fight with a WRX and you want me to race a modified STI??? :roll: . I'm not sure if I can win against another WRX, might just be luck that one time.
grant
Platinum
Platinum

Post by grant »

When you're done with your 24V I mean. Should be mean fast right? E36 m3 power (US crap of course) with S2000 weight? But with drive shaft guibos fit for a Fit? Should be interesting :D
BMW's are the ultimate driving machine!

I'm kidding -- please don't ban me.
DaveH
Gold
Gold

Post by DaveH »

I often wonder just how the 18-35s are modding their WRXs. I get the impression that a lot of them think you can pick components a la carte and not consider the entire system. They're just adding up HP claims that the retailers make. Perhaps a lot of lean-running or just poorly tuned WRXs are out there?

Good point re the weight advantage Z, the WRX isn't heavy, but the 116 cars are light by todays standards.

My recent successful 'tests' in the WRX have been: A4 3.0, Infiniti G35, Acura RSX Type S, Passat W8 (!) and some clown in a hoop-dee with 24" 'rims'. I did get spanked by a hopped up Integra though. Most of these are on-ramp drags from a rolling start. Red light derbys are not my thing. And once I've topped 4th gear, I let off.

Nothing seems to touch the WRX going around corners. Its fun when the cure for undeersteer is increased throttle :D
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

So it was a rolling start, that was something else. Thought it was from a red light or something.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!
Zamani
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Zamani »

Mats,

Are you referring to my quick sprint? Or to someone else?