SimonB
Gold
Gold

Baby seats in a GTV6?

Post by SimonB »

Hi! We are looking forward to a happy event next March? Has anyone out there managed to fit a baby seat into a GTV6? Mine is a 1984 UK spec. model with rear seat belts. All the manufacturers here in Europe seem to say that their seats only work with certain models and noone goes back far enough. As seats are compulsary (rightly) in the EU has anyone got any advice about this. I have told my wife the GTV6 will be fine when we have a baby! Also what is the smallest helmet size for track days? (only joking!)
MerrilGordon
Gold
Gold

Post by MerrilGordon »

I just completed a 600 mile drive over the weekend with about 30% being in real tight switchback type of roads. Loads of fun for both me and my 4-year old.

I'm not sure what to tell you about mounting new-born seats. Seems when my wife, kid, and I all went together we took a different car then. When it was just me and the kid, I'd place his child seat backwords in the GTV6 front passenger seat as one normally would.

Now that he's older, he rides in a child seat that has it's own belts. My car's rear seats have (I believe) inirtia reals back there and were no good for spirited driving in the corners. I resolved the issue by removing the seat and bolting a new lap seat belt for a center location that did not have the inirtia feature. Just a simple seat belt. I then reinstalled the seat bottom with the new belt fed out just like the others. The rear seat center tray sticks up higher than the two sides (butt wells ? ;-) but it hasen't been a problem as I just cinch the belt (fed through the back of the car seat) down very tightly. The kid seat doesn't rock at all.

Keep in mind that some kid seats are designed to use the car's lap and sholder belts. Unless it's a very modern car, those belts won't be installed in the center location.

Here's another observation; Anyone used to to get car sick when they were kids sitting back there down deep in the rear seat? Before child seats were a requirement we all just sat where ever. I used to get car sick and I think it was because I wasn't looking out that much. Probably playing with toys or something. Well my boy has yet to get car sick even though we terrorize plenty of fun back roads. I think it's because he's sitting up higher in his child seat and centered in the middle back there. He's got an unobstructed view forward and to the sides and as a result he's not getting motion sickness.
Of course, maybe he wouldn't get sick anyway and I'm all wet. Anyway, it's something I've thought about.

Hope that helps Simon.

Merril
82 GTV6 3.0
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

SimonB wrote:Also what is the smallest helmet size for track days? (only joking!)
Heh, this is a lil off topic but hey, just thought I'd post it up anyway.
Attachments
Me in my 75 :)
Me in my 75 :)
me75small.JPG (66.79 KiB) Viewed 4855 times
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec
SimonB
Gold
Gold

Post by SimonB »

Problem solved! Baby will have to sit in the front though!
Attachments
babyseat.jpg
babyseat.jpg (141.06 KiB) Viewed 4672 times
Mezevenf
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Mezevenf »

Glad you found a solution, watch out for that airbag ;)
Bernard M (AKA Mef - Mezevenf)

1986 75QV 3.0L 24v V6 - Silver
1985 GTV6 2.5L 12v V6 - Red
1999 166 3.0L 24v V6 - Red

NightSpec