FLETCH
Silver
Silver

WINDOW AND DOOR RUBBERS ???

Post by FLETCH »

Does anyone know where to get hold of new window and door rubbers for GTV'S,Has anyone tried Peter Jackson's rubber company?in OZ that is. :D
otter
Silver
Silver

Post by otter »

there is a company up in brisbane that still have the door rubbers and window seals, but it was very expensive. i'll see if i can dig it up, have a look in the old forum that where i saw the company mentioned
so many times, people have drifted into my racing line and slowed down to early.
Hugo
Silver
Silver

Post by Hugo »

Fletch,

I bought mine from a company called Highwood Motor Co, - see http://web.telia.com/~u40100700/highwood/frhigh1.htm

Highwood supply door rubbers by the metre. I have yet to fit them, but what I have been supplied with seems a considerable improvement on the original.

Good luck

Hugo
RHD South African 3 Litre and LHD 156 2.4 GTD Sportswagen
Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Post by Scott in MN »

The door window wipes are the tough ones to find. Re-Originals has the correct profile but it is unflocked and therefore does not work well against the window. I jerry rigged it by attaching some antifriction tape to it. Works OK but I'd rather find some flocked wipes.
Michael
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Michael »

How about the GTV6 sunroof seals?
Anyone found a viable source for those?
Michael
1981 GTV6
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Window seals

Post by hutchensgd »

Let me know how your seal replacement goes. I am in the process of redoing my car, and this is one area which I need to look at too.

I would be interested in a seal for the sunroof also!
Glenn
AlfaTipo
Gold
Gold

Post by AlfaTipo »

International Auto (www.international-auto.com) has door and hatch rubbers. Not sure what they are like.

A project for me too.
Jef
85 GTV6 'Gina G2' Shankle cams and headers Resting Serious rebuild in the future
85 GTV6 'Gina G3' Sold but missed.
www.motozane.com
MD
Verde
Verde

Post by MD »

For all the Aussies out there especially in Brisbane, try "The Rubber Shop" 148 South Pine Road, Enoggera Telephone 07 3354 2053. He's got all sorts of profiles there and sells it by the metre.
(He might be called The Rubber Shop but doesn't carry the stuff that fits on your bazukka.)

MD :D
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
hutchensgd
Gold
Gold

Weather stripping replacement

Post by hutchensgd »

For any of you that have done this before, how big of a project is it? My car is being painted now, should I have the old weather stripping taken off prior to it being painted?
Glenn
4SFED4
Gold
Gold

Post by 4SFED4 »

Glenn,

You are kidding right?

-Brian
MD
Verde
Verde

Re: Weather stripping replacement

Post by MD »

hutchensgd wrote:For any of you that have done this before, how big of a project is it? My car is being painted now, should I have the old weather stripping taken off prior to it being painted?
I have this feeling that I am reading way too much into your question as I am assuming you're looking (ultimately) for tips on restoration work so my answer is based on that wild presumption.(If you are bored so far, it's only going to get worse :D )

Well mate, it all depends what your quotation for the job has provided for. If you haven't got a detailed quotation, I suggest you start there.

The proper job is all body attachments off, including door locks, all glazing out, all rubbers off,engine out and sand back to bare metal. Fix any dimples, rust affected sections and then apply approriate paint treatments through to finishing stage. The steps will vary according to the type of paint that you have selected ie enamels, acrylics, two packs etc. Prior to refitting all accessories, internal sections should be rust proofed at this time. The last stages are the refitting of the rubber components and if you have you seen a beautiful and shinning paint job with tired old rubber, it soon takes the smile off your face. It's a bit like wearing a tuxedo with sneakers-not quite the go. So to answer your question, it's your choice.

On the other hand if it is just going to be a touch up here and there, well it's all going to be a compromise so get the restorer's advice and then agree on the price based on how much trouble they are prepared to go through.

Understand that poor original paint substrate can severely ruduce the life of your new paint down the track. There can also be very noticeable colour mis-matches particularly with reds and metallics.

You enquired about the costs. I would suggest that someone from the US could offer a price. The full paint and panel job on my car in Aussies Dollars would hardly be relevant but in general terms, yes it is significant amount of bucks and it used up six weeks of my pay(if that helps)

I hope I have understood the overall intent of your question and not bored everybody else shitless.

MD
Transaxle Alfas Haul More Arse
Scott in MN
Silver
Silver

Post by Scott in MN »

Would someone with a parts catalogue please give me the part numbers for the following: (for an '83 GTV6)

Door window wiping seal, outer
Door window wiping seal, inner
Door to body gasket
Rear hatch gasket
Sunroof seal

Thank You