alfadog
Silver
Silver

Manual Window conversion

Post by alfadog »

Has anyone attempted to convert power windows to manual in a GTV6? And if so, what parts worked? I'm just tired of wondering when the next power window motor will breakdown! Thanks.
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well not on an alfa but ive done it on lots of cars over the years..both manual to power and power to manual...generaly speaking you need the window regulator and useualy the glass as well since its generaly attatched a lil diferent...as well as useualy drilling some new mounting holes for things but again this is generaly speaking
shures
Gold
Gold

Alternative to converting

Post by shures »

Alfadog,

My experience (not all with Alfas) is that cleaning out all the years of dirt and old grease and then re-lubing the mechanism saves motors. Windows work a lot faster too.
Scott Shure
Ellicott City, Md
85 GTV-6
mjr
Platinum
Platinum

Post by mjr »

Shures is right. THere is nothing wrong with the motors themselves, I have never had a problem with the motors, they only go wrong when they meet more resistance than they are designed for. The wire barrel mechanism is what knackers the motors, check it out. I took both of my barrels apart and cleand them up, replaced the bearings and re-greased them.
Mats
Verde
Verde

Post by Mats »

A buddy of mine converted his front ones on the 75 to manual using a set of rear window mechanisms (75), not too difficult according to him.
Mats Strandberg
-Scuderia Rosso- Now burned to the ground...
-onemanracing.com-
-Strandberg.photography-

GTV 2000 -77 - Died in the fire.
155 V6 Sport -96 - Sold!