sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

power mirrors gtv6

Post by sh0rtlife »

anyone got any tricks/tips on fixxing them..specificaly looking for a wireing diagram for them...the switch in the car is melted beyond belife..ive done a few normal american tests and can manage to get one direction out of each mirror so im fairly certain that the mirrors themselves are fine and atleast part of the wireing is ok as well ...but i cant seem to find a jumper configuration to get the other movements out of the mirrors
Daniel
Platinum
Platinum

Post by Daniel »

As far as I know, 2 of the 4 wires control the motor in the mirror - reverse the polarity on these 2 and the motor reverses. The other 2 wires control which axis the motor is controlling. So to check if it all works, power the motor wires - that should give you L & R control - and then at the same time, power the other 2 wires to get Up & Down. If you just power the axis control wires, you will just hear a click inside the mirror.
Best of luck
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

well after much tinkering and complete dissasembly of the mirrors there working fine if i run power directly to them...the black wire for the axis solinoid doesnt seem to be grounding or going all the way back to the switch plate wich ever its suposed to be doing that is

any sugjestions of a switch replacement ive heard alot of bad things about the stock switches and was eyeballing a toyota celica switch same wire setup even
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

If you don't mind creating the wire harness, you could probably use a milano mirror switch and place it into one of the blanks in the small gauge cluster.....
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

x-rad wrote:If you don't mind creating the wire harness, you could probably use a milano mirror switch and place it into one of the blanks in the small gauge cluster.....
that would be cool...asumeing i could find a millano to scavange off of lol..ive seen some pic's of the millano ones and the toyota unit is about the same style just larger looking....i need to understand the routeing of the black presumably ground wire tho first
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

IAP has them....for a price (but wiring these is not easy)

As for the mirror wiring, it is probably the single most complex part of the entire car! According to my Cardisc, there a six wires at the control switch and at least three wires plus ground to each mirror. The control switch has a multi position center switch which reverses polarity to the mirror motors after you select left or right side. But you can't make out the wire colors on Cardisc.

Power appears to come from the radio fuse (but that is the 1981 wiring diagram). Grounds occur through the radio (to the fuse block) and to chassis ground.

If you don't have one, get yourself a cheap digital readout multimeter (40$) . First determine if you have power at the control switch. Then match wire color at each mirror harness junction. At least you know you have power this far. Check for polarity reversal. If you need a new control switch, there are several parts cars on this site.
Attachments
000-2a1.jpg
000-2a1.jpg (5.84 KiB) Viewed 7275 times
sh0rtlife
Verde
Verde

Post by sh0rtlife »

actualy ive already ran tests on all the wireing and have a pretty good idea of what the harness "should" look like in my mind....even on my 83 the power does come from the radio fuse(i blew it by mistake on a test light)...3 wires are shared side to side 2 side specificas and in my case the undescided black wire that doesnt seem to ground or make it to the doors in any continuity testings....im not in the mood to gut the dash to track it unless i have to....you by chance know its ground location?
x-rad
Verde
Verde

Post by x-rad »

Black wire: If you a speaking about one of the wires from the control switch (#2 or if you look at it the other way, #5) it looks like it goes to the back of the radio and eventually shares a common chassis ground.

I have scanned a high res pic of the wiring dgm. pm me your email and I will send.