PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Problem with gauges! Help

Post by PietereQ »

I boughyt my GTV6 6 days ago. Unfortunately, it came with Speedometer and oil pressure gauge malfunction. Basically they just idle. I'dont have any foggiest idea how could i fix them, because i have no manual or any technical sources. Do you have any idea how could i fix them? What may be the reasons of malfunction? Is it going to be costy or hard to repair??
Thanks
Pete
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Pete in both cases there are basically three possibilities:

1) Faulty sensors on engine and transmission
2) Faulty guages
3) Faulty wiring between the two.

I would start with the wiring because it doesn't involve having to buy anything.My first check would be the grounds.The grounds are under the dashboard on the driver's side.They are attached to the same bolt that fastens the dashboard to the car.Remove the nut and check all the black wires and the ring terminals they are connected to.Clean everything up and re-assemble.Get back with the results.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks Murray!
Do you know if the oil press gaguge is electronic or mechanical? I've noticed that the "glass" covering three gauges on the central console gets foggy sometimes. Could this be some liquids (fuel, oil?)evaporating? Anyway, I'll do as you suggestded, thanks!
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks Murray!
Do you know if the oil press gaguge is electronic or mechanical? I've noticed that the "glass" covering three gauges on the central console gets foggy sometimes. Could this be some liquids (fuel, oil?)evaporating? Anyway, I'll do as you suggestded, thanks!
Murray
Verde
Verde

Post by Murray »

Pete no the oil pressure guage is electrical.It is connected to a sensor which is located in the centre of the "V" under the intake plenum.There are no lines oil/fuel etc.running into the dash (thank goodness :roll: ) so the source of the "fog" must be something else.If it's really humid where you are it would be a good idea to remove the guages and check the connections on the rear because humidity will cause oxidation of the contact points and could lead to malfunctions.
1986-GTV6
1989-75 Twinspark very sadly sold-remarkable sedan !
2014 Audi Q5 3.0l TDI - torque MONSTER
Barry
Verde
Verde

Post by Barry »

A quick oil gauge check...
remove the wire from the sender unit and ground it..if the gauge goes fsd,repair or replace the sender unit.....
PietereQ
Platinum
Platinum

Post by PietereQ »

Thanks guys, I'll do as you suggested. Barry by the way what does "fsd" mean?
Al_Cam
Silver
Silver

Post by Al_Cam »

Pete,

FSD = Full Scale Deflection. When the needle on the gauge has gone as far as it can from the rest or off position.

AL